Steel String Singer

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Structo

Re: re

Post by Structo »

thyx wrote: HAD told SRV he owed him several thousand dollars in consultation costs for phone calls concerning the amps...at which point SRV told him to just keep the second amp (using similar but more colorful language). I wasn't personally there...that's just the story I heard.
I've heard similar stories over the years.

That is if he even chose to talk to you, then he billed an unheard of fee for the consultation.

Too bad he wasn't a more "normal" type guy. He apparently believes the hype and mystique associated with his name.

But if he was more normal, perhaps we wouldn't have had the amps that we all love, (to clone). :D
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Max

Re: Steel String Singer

Post by Max »

Funkalicousgroove wrote:Pretty sure the Orange dumbleland was only used to record texas flood, although it was recorded in Jackson Browne's warehouse, so it may have been jacksons dumbleland special 150-The story goes that Stevie scratched his initials into the back of the amp. The SSS amps I have seen make around 137 clean watts- I am guessing that they are very similar preamp sections with larger output sections- Could be wrong, I've only worked on 2 SSS amps and no dumblelands .

The mid accent switch simply puts a .001uf cap across the master volume in a bright cap type arrangement, but the ones I saw had that switch replaced with a presence control.
Hi Brandon,

The two you have worked on, have they been equipped with 6L6 or 6550A?

Cheers and all the best,

Max
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

The 2 150 watters had 6550's, I am also familliar with an early 100W that has twin Iron and 6l6gc's.

Those early ones had some crazy stuff going on, Cathode to plate feedback, 3 tube reverb, Inductors, 7 tubes in the preamp total- Cool sounding for sure, but not the SRV thing to my ears.

Max,

I'm going to trust your ears because you are obviously closer to the source, Any insight on the difference in sound between a dumbleland special and a SSS 150? I'm assuming the Dumbleland 150 would be more similar to the preamp of the earlier SSS but with the 150W power section?
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
Max

Post by Max »

Funkalicousgroove wrote:The 2 150 watters had 6550's, I am also familliar with an early 100W that has twin Iron and 6l6gc's.

Those early ones had some crazy stuff going on, Cathode to plate feedback, 3 tube reverb, Inductors, 7 tubes in the preamp total- Cool sounding for sure, but not the SRV thing to my ears.

Max,

I'm going to trust your ears because you are obviously closer to the source, Any insight on the difference in sound between a dumbleland special and a SSS 150? I'm assuming the Dumbleland 150 would be more similar to the preamp of the earlier SSS but with the 150W power section?
Hi Brandon,

I am very busy next week so I will have to split my answer(s) to your question in some different posts one after another. I hope this is fine with you.

To describe the similarities and differences between DL and SSS is difficult for me, because I had the impression, that every single specimen I had the chance to play had e very individual personality. In order to avoid wrong generalisations I'll just try to report the differences in character I have found in my experiences with DLs and SSSs as far as I remember now:

The Dumbleland Specials I had a chance to play all had a very different character as a musical instrument. One was like the best 59' Bassman you can think of on steroids (would perhaps have been SRVs "dream amp"?), one very similar in sound to a SSS without reverb, one (obviously tuned for bass guitar) was different again, and the "Silver-Aligator" "Pentode-Dumbleland" (the one that came back to US from Japan and was sold at Overland Express) was the "sustain master" (After hitting a chord you always looked around and asked yourself "where is the compressor"?). Ok, I will come back later to these differences in sound.

From a technical point of view three of those four DLs were similar (at least in regard of some very general specs and general structure): 7025 input and recover amp (don't laugh if I perhaps use some strange terms, I am not a tech) after the tone stack, 7025 recover amp (and CF? I am not sure?) after the Step Filters, 12AU7 Phase Inverter 12BH7 Driver, 4x 6550 and giant (Triad?) OT and giant PT (could easily light up a small village).
The "Pentode Amp" was a very different beast: 2x EF86 to replace the two systems of the usual input tube embedded in a very complex structure (to do as well some special tricks, like "sustain", I suppose), 12AX7 oscillator, 5751 reverb driver, 7025 reverb recover, 12DW7 mixer, 7025 phase inverter , 7025 driver, more "normal looking" OT and PT.

To be continued...

Goodby for now and all the best.

Max
Max

Post by Max »

Funkalicousgroove wrote:The 2 150 watters had 6550's, I am also familliar with an early 100W that has twin Iron and 6l6gc's.

Max,

Hi Brandon,

forgot to say: Please feel free to ask anything of special interest to you. I'll try my best. This forum is deep in your dept.

By for now,

Max
RJ Guitars

Post by RJ Guitars »

Max,

That is some great info... sounds like there are many forms of this beast... but I guess that is to be expected since HAD usually builds an amp for a specific Individual and tailors things just for them.

rj

Potential SSS builders

I am curious if anyone has the chassis size dimensions and front panel control info. I've tentatively setup a deal to have a small run of chassis done but would like to verify the basic info taking any further steps toward production.

I would like to hear from anyone who would like a chassis, I plan to sell them at cost plus $10 to cover the travel and leg work to get them through the fabrication process.

rj
Good, Fast, or Cheap -- Pick two...

http://www.rjguitars.net
http://www.rjaudioresearch.com/
http://diyguitaramps.prophpbb.com/
txbluesboy

Post by txbluesboy »

Count me in. Hope you can get a group project going with the SSS amp like you did with the Rocket on the Trainwreck site. That project brought the Rocket from one the least documented Trainwreck amps to probably the most completely documented and understood amps on the site. I look forward to the journey.

Terry
Funkalicousgroove

Max wrote:

Max,

Hi Brandon,

I am very busy next week so I will have to split my answer(s) to your question in some different posts one after another. I hope this is fine with you.

To describe the similarities and differences between DL and SSS is difficult for me, because I had the impression, that every single specimen I had the chance to play had e very individual personality. In order to avoid wrong generalisations I'll just try to report the differences in character I have found in my experiences with DLs and SSSs as far as I remember now:

The Dumbleland Specials I had a chance to play all had a very different character as a musical instrument. One was like the best 59' Bassman you can think of on steroids (would perhaps have been SRVs "dream amp"?), one very similar in sound to a SSS without reverb, one (obviously tuned for bass guitar) was different again, and the "Silver-Aligator" "Pentode-Dumbleland" (the one that came back to US from Japan and was sold at Overland Express) was the "sustain master" (After hitting a chord you always looked around and asked yourself "where is the compressor"?). Ok, I will come back later to these differences in sound.

From a technical point of view three of those four DLs were similar (at least in regard of some very general specs and general structure): 7025 input and recover amp (don't laugh if I perhaps use some strange terms, I am not a tech) after the tone stack, 7025 recover amp (and CF? I am not sure?) after the Step Filters, 12AU7 Phase Inverter 12BH7 Driver, 4x 6550 and giant (Triad?) OT and giant PT (could easily light up a small village).
The "Pentode Amp" was a very different beast: 2x EF86 to replace the two systems of the usual input tube embedded in a very complex structure (to do as well some special tricks, like "sustain", I suppose), 12AX7 oscillator, 5751 reverb driver, 7025 reverb recover, 12DW7 mixer, 7025 phase inverter , 7025 driver, more "normal looking" OT and PT.

To be continued...

Goodby for now and all the best.

Max
topology sounds pretty identical to the SSS, aside from the Iron, My curiosity lies in what makes a SSS a SSS vs a Dumbleland?

Have they all had reverb?

BTW, recovery amp is the correct term :D
Max

Post by Max »

Funkalicousgroove wrote: topology sounds pretty identical to the SSS, aside from the Iron, My curiosity lies in what makes a SSS a SSS vs a Dumbleland?

Hi Brandon,

Let's go on:

My personal opinion is, that to understand the differences btween a SSS and a DL it is a good idea to have a look on the "history" of these amps.

In a short cut as I perceive this:

Mr. Dumble, as a guitarplayer, did like fender amps but obviously found tone and dynamics of the blackface fender amps of the sixties not "state of the art": They did not move enough air for his taste, their tone was not "broad" enough, less bottom end as he liked and less open harmonic richness.

Mr. Dumble decided to build (for himself and other musicians) his own guitar amp in a way to correct these insufficencies (for his taste) of the blackface fender amps of his time: Well known example of these mighty early monsters: The "Winterland", that was offered sometimes on the bay. The sound of this Winterland should be very similar to the clean sound of the preamp of your small "Overdrive Deluxe" on your shelf fed into a high (at least 130) wattage 6550A or KT88 "High-Fidelity" tube Amp. Make a try (if you did not already) and let me know if I am right.

The idea behind this "Winterland" concept is to create a beautiful sustaining an harmonically rich guitar tone by making a state of the art (from a technical point of view) preamp, that does not ruin and twist the tone already in his first stages of amplification and processing, and apply tone shaping by EQ in a careful way to compliment the guitar tone with rich fundamentals sparkle and shine in a way without hampering the Mids, that are so important to "carry" a guitar tone to the audience. If you have such a preamp you just need a powerfull Hifi amp for the amplification of the preamp sound. The job of a Winterland, Dumbleland and SSS Power amp is not to ruin the already harmonically rich an sustaining guitar tone of the preamp and not to compensate for a lack of harmonically richness and sustain by power amp distortion and compression.

But at the time , when these early Dumble monsters (there is a "Winterland" power amp with 8 x 6550A!!) surfaced, a guy in good old england had made use of the 59' Bassman for something different and Hendrix and Clapton made good use of it: Harmonic richness (like the rich and blooming harmonics a bow creates scratching a string of a violin) by power amp distortion! Very different way to achieve harmonically richness!!

A Winterland was "too silky clean" (Dumble) for the guitarplayers of the sixties what led at least to the "Overdrive" concept.

But Dumble never abandoned his best beloved mighty babies and they grew up to the Dumblelands (Step Filters added, three tone knobs etc., it is all on the pics in the net). Dumblelands are alway at least 150 watt or more (300SL = 300W) and you could order them (Dumble catalogue of the late seventies) with or without reverb. But I don't know of a Dumbleland 150 Watt with reverb. But Dumbleland 300SLs with options (reverb and FET input) have been made. As far as I know at least one of the 300SLs has a true plate reverb (instead of springs).

A Dumbleland you could order for bass or for guitar. Some, that have been made for guitar later where used by bass players and vice-versa.
Besides the 4x12 cabinets Dumble made some great folded horn cabinets loaded with 2JBLs. Its unbelievable.

The SSS was introduced almost 10 years after the first Dumble monsters appeared. At first (look at #001) it was made as a "Twin reverb, as it should be, if they only had some engeneers at the Fender factory!"

So #001 is 100 Watt 4 x 6L6 (of course!) a combo (of course!) with reverb (of course!) and (a #1 special) true frequency "Vibrato" (of course?).

I will look at my attic, but as far as I remember now, SSSs in the first time all have been 100 Watt and all with typical Dumble reverb.

As a "clean amp with step filters" the preamp of a SSS has a lot in common with the Dumblelands of the same time. But in my ears even the early SSSs have a tiny bit more "glass" in the sound, while in direct comparision a Dumbleland preamp sounds a tiny bit more "natural" (I dont find a better word), broader and orchestral. And beeing introduced after the ODS they all had FET inputs.

A SSS is a (lead-) guitar amp, period.
Read the introduction of the SSS data sheet on Bill Morgans site.

A Dumbleland is a broader concept.

As guitarists liked the SSS, they evolved into a own family (100 watt, 120 watt, 150 Watt) and the SSS 150 watt replaced the 150 Watt version of the Dumbleland Special for Guitar, when around 1980 the production of the 150W version of Dumblelands was finished (Blackface 300SLs have still been produced for some time after the 150Watt was stopped, some for guitar (preamp very similar to SSS) and some for bass.

To be continued...

All the best

Max
Last edited by Max on Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
RJ Guitars

Post by RJ Guitars »

txbluesboy wrote:Count me in. Hope you can get a group project going with the SSS amp like you did with the Rocket on the Trainwreck site. That project brought the Rocket from one the least documented Trainwreck amps to probably the most completely documented and understood amps on the site. I look forward to the journey.

Terry
Terry, you are a kind soul!! The Rocket was a cool project because so many contributed to it and now there are a lot of cool amps out there that came out of that effort...

The SSS has the same potential for fun and bringing some more really cool amps into the limelight... and MAX - whoever you are, what a treasure of info you are! Thank you very much for sharing this stuff! I am enjoying this thread immensely!!

I've got a few takers for the SSS "style" builds... I'm planning to make a run of a dozen chassis if there are others who want to give it a shot, lemme know.

rj
Good, Fast, or Cheap -- Pick two...

http://www.rjguitars.net
http://www.rjaudioresearch.com/
http://diyguitaramps.prophpbb.com/
Max

Post by Max »

Double Post, Sorry!
Last edited by Max on Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Max

Post by Max »

Funkalicousgroove wrote:
topology sounds pretty identical to the SSS, aside from the Iron, My curiosity lies in what makes a SSS a SSS vs a Dumbleland?

Hi again Brandon and everyone else, I still have some minutes:

Let alone some technical specs that are most important for the detailed EQ shaping and are a bit different anyway in every individual (custom made) Dumble amp - the preamp of a Dumbleland 300SL for Guitar with Reverb and FET will be very similar to the preamp of a SSS 150 Watt.

The most important technical differences vs. a Dumbleland are (so far as I remember right now) are:

Different use of the two systems of the second - second in the sense of the "signal path without reverb" (if such a thing really exists in an AC frequency amplifier, but it is perhaps a suitable image) - preamp tube, that, as far as I remeber (Brandon, please help: do I remeber this right?) in SSS is both, the recovery amp after the Filters and the reverb mixer. This will make (If I remeber right) of course a difference in sound.

All SSS I know of have reverb. The only Dumbleland 150 Watt I know of (even none of the Dumblelands for Guitar) that had a reverb ist the very special "Pentode Amp".

All SSS I know of have the 7025 PI and the 7025 Driver instead of the 12 AU7 and 12BH7 of the Dumblelands (Brandon, was this the case too concerning the two 150 Watt SSS, you have worked on, or did they have a different PI structure?), what will acount for some more of the differences in sound.

At least two of the 150 Watt SSS (and some of the 100 Watt SSS too) did have a Volume for the FET input (Brandon, what about the two, you have worked on? External FET Volumes?) I don't know of a Dumbleland Special 150 watt (including those for guitar) that had a FET input (some 300SL do!).

Different OT and PT (Brandon, what kind of OT and PT did you find in the two SSS 150 watt, you have wirked on?). As far as I remeber the DL 150 Watt used Triad Iron and the DL 300 SL the same as a Ampeg SVT or V9.

Similarities:

In all the Dumblelands and SSS I know of (Brandon, what were your findings in regard of this?) you will find some special "tricks" that (at least some of these by far leave the usual "Fender" topologie": Special feedback_loops, interacting preamp stages and so on.)

One Dumbleland I know of, the one with the most SSS like tone, has some special things going on. But these must wait till the next post.

To be continued...

By for now and have a good time

Max
Last edited by Max on Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Funkalicousgroove

Max wrote:
Funkalicousgroove wrote:
Max wrote: Hi again Brandon and everyone else, I still have some minutes:

Let alone some technical specs that are most important for the detailed EQ shaping and are a bit different anyway in every individual (custom made) Dumble amp - the preamp of a Dumbleland 300SL for Guitar with Reverb and FET will be very similar to the preamp of a SSS 150 Watt.

The most important technical differences vs. a Dumbleland are (so far as I remember right now) are:

Different use of the two systems of the second - second in the sense of the "signal path without reverb" (if such a thing really exists in an AC frequency amplifier, but it is perhaps a suitable image) - preamp tube, that, as far as I remeber (Brandon, please help: do I remeber this right?) in SSS is both, the recovery amp after the Filters and the reverb mixer. This will make (If I remeber right) of course a difference in sound.

All SSS I know of have reverb. The only Dumbleland 150 Watt I know of (even none of the Dumblelands for Guitar) that had a reverb ist the very special "Pentode Amp".

All SSS I know of have the 7025 PI and the 7025 Driver instead of the 12 AU7 and 12BH7 of the Dumblelands (Brandon, was this the case too concerning the two 150 Watt SSS, you have worked on, or did they have a different PI structure?), what will acount for some more of the differences in sound.

At least two of the 150 Watt SSS (and some of the 100 Watt SSS too) did have a Volume for the FET input (Brandon, what about the two, you have worked on? External FET Volumes?) I don't know of a Dumbleland Special 150 watt (including those for guitar) that had a FET input (some 300SL do!).

Different OT and PT (Brandon, what kind of OT and PT did you find in the two SSS 150 watt, you have wirked on?). As far as I remeber the DL 150 Watt used Triad Iron and the DL 300 SL the same as a Ampeg SVT or V9.

Similarities:

In all the Dumblelands and SSS I know of (Brandon, what were your findings in regard of this?) you will find some special "tricks" that (at least some of these by far leave the usual "Fender" topologie": Special feedback_loops, interacting preamp stages and so on.)

One Dumbleland I know of, the one with the most SSS like tone, has some special things going on. But these must wait till the next post.

To be continued...

By for now and have a good time

Max
I recall the Reverb recover/mixer and recover from the filters as being the same tube in the more modern incarnations. the early one actually mixed at the master via cathoe folowers!

Both amps had the FET volume on the front, and in one it was foot switchable(built in 82 ish originally, so the footswitchable FET is not a "New innovation" as some would like us to believe :D )

One of the amps (newer) had what looked to be mercury Dynaco Iron at the OT, as well as the 12AU7/12BH7 Driver setup, it also had a lower gain type preamp. it was a 150W amp with 4 6550's and definitely said "Steel String Singer" on it.

The PT in one of them put 525 on the plates, in the other it was around 495
Max

Post by Max »

Funkalicousgroove wrote:I recall the Reverb recover/mixer and recover from the filters as being the same tube in the more modern incarnations. the early one actually mixed at the master via cathoe folowers!

Both amps had the FET volume on the front, and in one it was foot switchable(built in 82 ish originally, so the footswitchable FET is not a "New innovation" as some would like us to believe :D )

One of the amps (newer) had what looked to be mercury Dynaco Iron at the OT, as well as the 12AU7/12BH7 Driver setup, it also had a lower gain type preamp. it was a 150W amp with 4 6550's and definitely said "Steel String Singer" on it.

The PT in one of them put 525 on the plates, in the other it was around 495

Hi Brandon,

Thank you for your input.

525 on the plates is a usual value for a Dumbleland Special 150 Watt too (Triad PT) - as far as I remeber - and 137 Watts at the output (same OT as you see on the picture of the open back of Jackson Brownes DL-150W) are around the same too.

The early SSS 100Watt I know did indeed have more preamp tubes (3 for the reverb-circuit) than the later SSS 150W or the DL-300SL with reverb, where the mixer tube is the recovery amp after the filters too. The blackface 300SLs with reverb from the eighties as far as I know have the same tube constellation (preamp) as the SSS 150 you have worked on.

I'll try to come back to the "special" specifications of one of the DL-150W tomorrow.

Have a good time.

Max
Last edited by Max on Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Max

Post by Max »

Brandon, you wrote (when I will I learn to quote?):
Funkalicousgroove wrote:"I recall the Reverb recover/mixer and recover from the filters as being the same tube in the more modern incarnations. the early one actually mixed at the master via cathoe folowers!

One of the amps (newer) had what looked to be mercury Dynaco Iron at
the OT, as well as the 12AU7/12BH7 Driver setup, it also had a lower gain type preamp. it was a 150W amp with 4 6550's and definitely said "Steel String Singer" on it.

The PT in one of them put 525 on the plates, in the other it was around 495"
O. K. let's go on:

The Dumbleland that I remember to be the most similar to a SSS in regard to the glassy "sing" had a trim pot in the preamp to (as far as I remember) adjust the amount of signal that goes to the Filter circuit. The setting of this small internal pot had a great impact on how "gainy" or "singing" the amp was.

At least one of the SSS I met (and one ODS Reverb) had such a kind of internal trim pot after the one or two first gain stages too (part of the reverb circuit? I simply can't rememeber for sure.)

Brandon, did the two 150 watt SSS you have worked on have this internal trim-pot too? And if yes, do you think that adjusting "gain" is really the intended function of this trimmer in a SSS or just a side-effect that happens if you adjust this trimmer - and not the reason why it is at the given place in the circuit? What do you think? Why did Mr. Dumble set it into the SSS and (at least some) Dumbleland pre-amp circuits? (By the way: the "Pentode Amp" did not have such a trimmer.)

In addition this "SSS-Dumbleland" had more Filter settings (11 instead of seven) and a different "Mid-Accent" switch, that did not address the "Presence" range but the frequency range one perceives as the SSS "Sing" that for my ears gives similar harmoncis and a similar glassy sustain character as slide guitar or one played with a bottleneck.

Brandon, one more question concerning gain:

In some of your posts concerning the SSS you said, that the ones you did encounter could not be driven to preamp-saturation (like e.g. the clean channel of most ODS).
What about the two more modern 150W SSS you have worked on. Turn the preamp-Volume in the max-position and no compression and distortion audiable?

To be continued...

Cheers,

Max
Last edited by Max on Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.