Friedman BE50 based build

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Fair.child

Re: Friedman BE50 based build

Post by Fair.child »

I’m planning to build the BE50. Any recommendation with Power Transformer? I’m having hard time to find Classic Tone Universal Power Transformer. I’m looking for a recommendation or idea on sourcing Power Transformer
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I don't have any specific transformer recommendations, but classictone went the way of the dodo, some of their stock may still be out there, but probably at a steep markup.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
craigkimble

Post by craigkimble »

Fair.child wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:14 am I’m planning to build the BE50. Any recommendation with Power Transformer? I’m having hard time to find Classic Tone Universal Power Transformer. I’m looking for a recommendation or idea on sourcing Power Transformer
I just built one of these for a friend and used the Hammond 290GX PT. I ended up doing a high-gain single channel version and it turned out great. Super fun amp to play. I have attached my schematic and layout I used for the build

SCBE50-1.0.pdf
SC BE 50 v1.7 cak.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fair.child

Post by Fair.child »

I decided to go with the BE100 DLX version. I believe I found out applicable the power transformer.

I'll throw it here in case someone is interested.

https://www.mercurymagnetics.com/wp-con ... 0-CM-U.pdf

I gave Jeff Guzman at Mercury Magnetics a call. He understood the specs, and he directed me to the correct specs. Now, I'm working on the output transformer and choke. PCB just arrived today
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Here are a few exports to help with a layout. Stalled out on this build with other builds at the moment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Also, pics of my populated board. It is a generic Plexi/JCM800 board from Frusciante here on TAG. I still need to install the relays.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Here are some gutshots of the 50DLX...

Sorry if any of this is a duplicate of previous posts... Just putting what I have collected up here.
joCCe

Post by joCCe »

Hi

I have a BE50DLX and I'm looking for ideas to tame some high end on the HBE channel. Scheme: https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 42#p383142
Could a cap piggybacked to R6 at the first stage or a cap at the gain wiper to ground work to roll of some highs, or will it have to opposite effect :D
Fair.child

Post by Fair.child »

Dorrisant!! You helped me a lot with the pictures. Thank you so much for uploading it. Currently, I'm going with SoZo caps and Synergy caps. F&T as well.

For OT I will use 1k7 since it's 100W from Marshall Heyboer. For PT and Choke are Mercury and still waiting. For the chassis, got it from seaside (Canada)
Fair.child

Post by Fair.child »

What is the part number for the shielded wire? The gray wire? I have been trying to find that out from AmplifiedParts or other vendors. Can anyone here please point me in the right direction?