The F Word

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

C Moore

The F Word

Post by C Moore »

I read the Foo Fighters thread that has the Youtube video with J.P. Jones and Jimmy Page. I did not want to dump on some body else's post, so.....
I am a blue collar, union dude. I am not shy, I am not a prude. But when guys use the F word like that, it seems very low tide to me, Every Time. It also sounds kind of contrived, canned, immature, etc. Judging by the reaction of that large audience, I guess I am in the minority. Not a "big deal", life goes on.
I saw quite a few "Day On The Green" concerts in my day, and many in-door shows. Just don't remember a band that swore like that. Do any of you guys give it a second thought.? Whatever.......
Best
dynaman

Re: The F Word

Post by dynaman »

Mmm...it's tacky and obnoxious. I've a couple of friends that use it as an adjective before every other word they speak and it grates on my nerves. For them, it's habitual and they probably don't even realize it. I'm also guilty of using the "f" word, but it loses its sting when spoken repeatedly.

God bless the union and f*** this f***ing post! 8)
Cliff Schecht

Post by Cliff Schecht »

The guys at the local music shop know me as "fuckin' Cliff" because one of the old guys that works at the store said that I used the F word more in one sentence than anybody else he's met. I may drop an expletive or two more than necessary when I'm talking "passionately" about something I dislike.. :D
Cliff Schecht - Circuit P.I.
daydreamer

Post by daydreamer »

It only sounds bad if you use an american accent, try irish "fook dat", or better still scottish "wee litl' fook'. You can go Aussie for a bit of colour as well; "faarkin' oath"

I think the point is to offend. When you got millions of bucks; how else can you get street cred with 15 yr olds?...Can't say it swings with me either, but I don't buy foo fighters anymore and could give a fark about the other two either so I guess my vote was already in....

Andy
"Too young to know, too old to listen..."

Suze Demachi- Baby Animals
hairyandy

Post by hairyandy »

What bugs me more is when people say "F that", like not saying all of the word makes it any better...fuckin' pussies!

:P

Andy
Ian444

Post by Ian444 »

If the word is used too repeatedly it loses its strength. I swear a bit more than I should, but at 50 years age I'm over the fuckin stupidity and lack of foresight of business managers and pollies (politicians) in this country, I'm getting a bit cynical, and startin to not give a fuck actually. When I was young, and heard older people speak like I do now, I used to ignore them because I thought the world was a really cool safe place where everyone could be trusted.

Anyway I agree, the Foo's should not use that word in a contrived, canned, or immature way, they are spoiling it for the rest of us.
daydreamer

Post by daydreamer »

Hey Ian, the pollies are definitely shitting me at the moment, definitely worth the F bomb; FARKIN POLLIES, and why do they have to be so boring?

hired hand, I think we are all about to have a catharsis...or as i like to say, a "caw FARK this", thanks for the post. :twisted:
"Too young to know, too old to listen..."

Suze Demachi- Baby Animals
VacuumVoodoo

Post by VacuumVoodoo »

Copulating bovine excrement - that's what I think this is. Not worth discussing at all.
Aleksander Niemand
------------------------
Life's a party but you get invited only once...
affiliation:TUBEWONDER AMPS
Zagray!-review
Gibsonman63

Post by Gibsonman63 »

There is a time and place for everything... well most things. In the company of friends, it is no big deal and no offense taken. In a public setting, there are generally far more descriptive words. To me it is indicative of lack of vocabulary, confidence or both.

But Scarface is just not the same to me on regular TV.
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

The F word didn't bother nearly as much as the fact the Foo Fighters were standing on the same stage as Page and Jones. The FFs should have been embarassed. I am embarassed for them.
hairyandy

Post by hairyandy »

vibratoking wrote:The F word didn't bother nearly as much as the fact the Foo Fighters were standing on the same stage as Page and Jones. The FFs should have been embarassed. I am embarassed for them.
As a long-time Zep fan I agree with you, Pagey & Jonesy are getting a little long in the tooth! :) The Foos on the other hand are pretty darn amazing live! You might not be a fan or like their music, but if you like rock music at all and see them live it's undeniable how badass Dave & co. are as a unit in person. Then again I'm biased, I was Dave's guitar tech for awhile...

Andy
mlp-mx6

Post by mlp-mx6 »

hired hand -

I agree with you. It makes me sad that our culture has lowered the standard for normal social/civil behavior. Honestly folks, if it isn't appropriate for a 3-year-old to use that language, I'd love to understand what makes it "appropriate" for a 33-year-old to do so. (pick any age, actually) Civility and decorum are dying, if not dead already. We are a poorer society for it. Good manners are about as common as "common sense" - which may be the most misnamed concept in the world right now. Sad.
Wife: How many amps do you need?
Me: Just one more...
Structo

Post by Structo »

Tactfully, it depends who you are around when you use it.

In a construction gang, it's like sailors, it's just part of the landscape.

In a mixed crowd with men and women, it can make you seem like an uneducated idiot.
Uncouth as you will.

I think the main thing is to know when it's acceptable language for the moment.

As far as some rock star yelling it in a stadium. I guess they can do what they want, they always have.

Personally I think it's on the tacky side and as you age you most likely will agree.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
C Moore

Post by C Moore »

At the end of the year, if the worst thing he has done is to say "Fuck" on stage into a mic, he is probably way ahead of the game. I am not being judgmental, it just always seems like a bad idea.
Whatever....maybe there was stuff going on at that concert that we do not even know about. The crowd seems into it, no harm done. Perhaps I would make a lousy Rock Star.... Gosh Darn It :)
dynaman

Post by dynaman »

Gibsonman63 wrote:There is a time and place for everything... well most things. In the company of friends, it is no big deal and no offense taken. In a public setting, there are generally far more descriptive words. To me it is indicative of lack of vocabulary, confidence or both.

But Scarface is just not the same to me on regular TV.
I was going to agree with you in that the overused exclamation is a result of poor vocabulary skills. Even the average 16-year old recognizes 10K+ English words.

However, this Associated Press headline now leaves me feeling guilty: "Rock and Roll Singer Dave Grohl Diagnosed With Tourette's Syndrome!"

I hope you insensitive f***s are happy. Ironically, most of you hypocrites use TAG as a support group for your own cases of, ahem, "Turrets" Syndrome. In fact, I recently had to place an order with Dr. Doug Hoffman for a bag of silver-plated meds......Badoom pshhhh.