Guitar Gallery Thread! Post 'em up!

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Re: Guitar Gallery Thread! Post 'em up!

Post by LeftyStrat »

Here's a tele I built from a kit. Copied the headstock from my CBS strat. Unfortunately it's almost impossible to get a good picture of Lake Placid Blue. Depending on the angle it goes from dark blue to light blue.

I used the finishes from Reranch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
MCK

Post by MCK »

My '62 SG Junior. Very clean example. Looks great, sounds even better!

[img:640:480]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-M1Pz ... C01503.JPG[/img]

[img:512:384]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-H1aN ... 0/lp11.jpg[/img]
Structo

Post by Structo »

Nice!
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

Homemade Teles. Hollow body with no f-holes.

Quilt with swamp ash (one on left of two). Flamed maple with Prima Vera (picture in yard).

DiMarzio p.u.

With respect, 10thtx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

Love the flamey one! Your paintjob?
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

Love the flamey one! Your paintjob?
Just water based analine dye applied with a rag. I apply some amber dye and then sand it off maybe 3 times to enhance the flame look. In other words after sanding to enhance the flames & before starting the finish ........... the softer wood in the flames still holds some dye in it and the harder wood now looks just like plain old undyed wood.

The key to getting a soft change (burst) from middle to edges is to keep working quickly while the analine dye is still wet.

I put on yellow first everywhere, then amber more "around" the middle, then a reddish brown on the edges & keep moving the rag to have it fade gradually from yellow to amber to reddish brown moving from the middle out to edges.

Then I coat it with about 25 coats of Deft Clear Wood finish gloss. Sanding 600 grit at around 12 coats, then down to 1500 grit on last coats. Polish with automotive polish.

They are actually pretty durable finishes. The Deft Clear Wood finish has some nitrocellulose lacquer in it. I typically will use 3 spray cans. I think it may have some type of urethane or something mixed in with it also, but I'm not sure.

I've used the spray cans of Deft on about 20+ guitars and had it work OK to my satisfaction.

Not too hard to do but one needs patience when polishing.

With respect, 10thtx
overtone

Post by overtone »

> 10thTx: I was hoping to see those again!

> MCK: Those sound really seriously good. Never had a bad day. Still have a '61 Junior after about thirty years now. Not as pristine as yours though!

Best, tony
HeeBGB
Site Admin

Post by HeeBGB »

OK I know I posted this guitar already BUT I am away on a business trip and this is the only axe I have with me to take pics of. I am still figuring out how to use the Iphone camera so bear with me here. I am stuck in a hotel in Frederick Maryland bored out of my head.
passfan

Post by passfan »

My 94 Standard. May as well have stole it used from guitar center. New as soon as I held it it was right
"It Happens"
Forrest Gump
billyz

Post by billyz »

Hope it is ok to post a video . This is my 64 es345 that my friend Diego is playing .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAadzFhAaR0
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

Not all mine. The other guitarist in the band brought a few beauties over today. '64, '65, '61 Strats a '54 Goldtop, Jazzmaster....
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Nice stuff! Love that era of sunburst billyz. Great guitar! That amp sounds tuned, dood..

Here is my retired horsey head down. (Nothing is wearing those boots..)
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

D45 horsey?
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

It's a '75 Alvarez that I played until the tone left town. I don't play shows with good acoustics. Traveling kills them... ^^^ proof.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

Yeah, Billy, great sounding amp and guitar. I love that sound. Makes me think of BB. Are the pickups out-of-phase on that guitar or is that sound just due to the Varitone?