Finger Joints

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

cbass

Re: Finger Joints

Post by cbass »

rp wrote:
cbass wrote:I get stung by bees pretty often.Never noticed helping my fingers.Of course they like stingin me on my head and face my dark wooly hair and beard pisses them off.
My friend keeps bees, they hated his big fat lumbering black lab. He said it's their bear instinct. Do you look like a bear?
More like a Sasquatch

I got bees too
Last edited by cbass on Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

amplifiednation wrote:...I think the router would probably be a good method but I haven't figured out a way to control dust from the router like I can with the table saw.
Unless you have a good shop fitted with a vac system and your router is bolted to a table, router spew is going to be a problem. I'm only able to use mine outside in the summer. Many moons ago when I lived in another house, I had an unfinished room in the basement and I could make all the dust I wanted in there. That's probably 25 years ago.
cbass

Post by cbass »

I have my router table closed in around the router to where I cna hook up DC to the box or the fence or both.

Obviously you wouldn't have no fence doin FJ's.I imagine you would still have some chips on top of the table
Cantplay

Post by Cantplay »

Fein makes a really nice shopvac with autostart that connects to their router. Festool as well.

So many other tools I need more though.

John
cbass

Post by cbass »

Those vacs are nice if your running a small router and there is absolutely nothin else on the circuit.Otherwise it pulls too much current for a typical 20amp 120v circuit.

One would be nice for my R/O sander though.I think I can manage to flip the switch myself.For the price of one of those vacs you can get a small DC system goin
amplifiednation

Post by amplifiednation »

I have a decent dust collection unit, and recently bought a dust extraction hood for my bosche router, trying to move routing inside the shop for the winter.

Even with the custom hood and a 2" hose being the only thing connected to the DC, I would say only 70% of the dust gets collected. I've just continued to roundover cabs outside. I heard the Festool stuff is good, but $400 for a router is insane.
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
cbass

Post by cbass »

I don't think you will ever catch every bit of dust with a router.On certain cuts on the table I can catch almost all of it.on certain cuts like dados I catch almost none of it.
amplifiednation

I heard the festool collects 95% of the dust. My Bosche is just a disaster. I should start a new thread on dust collection
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
cbass

Post by cbass »

I do 99% of my routing on the table.If I do use it handheld its uasually at a job site.Then the dust is someone elses problem.

Oh you don't want to lift a 4x12 onto a router table and slide it around.I guess speaker cutouts would be a bitch too.

I don't get to worried about dust to much in my shop.When it gets knee deep I open the doors and use leaf blower to clean it out. :oops:
NickC

Post by NickC »

cbass wrote: ................

I don't get to worried about dust to much in my shop.When it gets knee deep I open the doors and use leaf blower to clean it out. :oops:

Slather some wax in-with-it and form DIY fireplace starters. Put a label on 'em says "Organic" and sell 'em out by the main highway to city-slickers. :wink:
cbass

Post by cbass »

Good idea Organic sawdust made by real live hillbillies.
NickC

Post by NickC »

cbass wrote:Good idea Organic sawdust made by real live hillbillies.

Exactly!

NOS (old growth pine) sawdust ...... premium! You get three-times-more for it!

:wink:
amplifiednation

cbass wrote:I do 99% of my routing on the table.If I do use it handheld its uasually at a job site.Then the dust is someone elses problem.

Oh you don't want to lift a 4x12 onto a router table and slide it around.I guess speaker cutouts would be a bitch too.

My shop is in the main house basement - too much dust and it gets to the furnace intake and I track it upstairs. Everything I own is covered in dust. I have it well controlled except that damn router and the jig saw
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
cbass

Post by cbass »

Hmm don't know about the jigsaw I 've rigged up a box around a circulaur saw before and attached a hose to it.Worked good.I was scoring concrete floors inside a finished house so you could Imagine the dust.You might be able to do the same to the Jigsaw.I don't know
dmk

Post by dmk »

I built a dedicated 1/2" box joint jig for my table saw, and use a very good quality Freud stacked dado set. It's served me well for over ten years now.
[IMG:1024:768]http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo28 ... cdd55b.jpg[/img]
[IMG:1024:768]http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo28 ... f883f3.jpg[/img][/img]