Marshall clone i got for repair

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Ang3lus

Marshall clone i got for repair

Post by Ang3lus »

I think it's a bluesbreaker of sorts, as it has NFB from 16ohm tap and reverb, got this as a present from my dad, it flicked the house mains a few times, turns out it was the on switch shorting, replaced and all is fine.

i got interested, as curiosity is my main profession, started analysing the amp.

replaced the 100uf+100uf mains cap to 4x180uf caps (that's what i had), 2 in series.

replaced 330uf cap with 1uf cap and split the cathode and added 1.5k bypassed with 680n.

added a PPIMV and will add swampers as the amp is squealing.

wanting to change the signal caps to sozos, i tried replacing with Orange drops 715p, but i hated the sound.

I was thinking of also changing the fizz cap to 100pf instead of 47pf, NFB to 100k, and adding a Jose mod on a switch with two gain options, one compressed mid-gain and one for very high gain.

this amp was built in the 70s here in Israel, the work is not that good, but the amp works and has worked for almost 40 years.

I was thinking of changing the PI caps to 22n, but i saw in another thread the idea of 220n PI caps and 2x100k instead of 2x1M (what will that do tonally ?)

what do you guys think ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Reeltarded

Re: Marshall clone i got for repair

Post by Reeltarded »

Neat! It's messy and a little dirty but very cool stuff in there.

The PI value swap provides a little more headroom and drops the noise a bit. I installed it in a 4 stage amp and went back and forth with it in a 3 stage amp. It sounds very similar to the standard setup, but you can get much louder without all the hiss. Dunno about for a cleaner sounding amp.. yet. :)
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.