Methods to Reduce SPL for Marshall type amp

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

vibratoking

Methods to Reduce SPL for Marshall type amp

Post by vibratoking »

I am not a Marshall guy...yet. I am thinking of a 50W plexi style build. Thanks to Miles for sharing his experience. I know it will be loud. I would like to build in some method to reduce volume. Not bedroom levels. Just a small level reduction to take off the edge when desired.

I am looking for feedback on your experiences with different methods of volume reduction for a Marshall type amp:

PPIMV Type 1/2/3, LarMar, attenuator, VVR, Variac,...???

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.
xtian

Re: Methods to Reduce SPL for Marshall type amp

Post by xtian »

Check my thread about my 50 watt 1987 style plexi builds. I'm just starting my third one, I like them so much:

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19042

I used PPIMV LarMar, and think it's great. I play this all the time now in my office at home, very, very quietly so as not to bother anyone.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Military surplus store. I make pads of three wool blankets that I rivet together. 2-3 blankets per pad with 4 rivets up each side and 4 in a square in the middle. Low volume 6-8 blankets. Small coffee can hole in lower right speaker area with a saddle blanket over them to dress it up.

hah

Use a safety pin to open up as much as you need. Totally works.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
statorvane

Post by statorvane »

If you've got some robust 6V6s laying around (a crime I know) try swapping them for the EL34s. Amp breaks up earlier than EL34s - decent crunch at lower volume. Sounds really good. I've used JJ 6V6S tubes and tweaked the bias a little.
Roe

Post by Roe »

statorvane wrote:If you've got some robust 6V6s laying around (a crime I know) try swapping them for the EL34s. Amp breaks up earlier than EL34s - decent crunch at lower volume. Sounds really good. I've used JJ 6V6S tubes and tweaked the bias a little.
yes but change the z from 3k4 to 6k8
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
thejaf

Post by thejaf »

Earplugs :lol:

PPIMV for me. I have a loud drummer, so this type of MV is never below "7", just shaves off a few dB
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

...I have a loud drummer...
Me too, but aren't they all? :P
LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Post by LeftyStrat »

vibratoking wrote:
...I have a loud drummer...
Me too, but aren't they all? :P
Even when they're nowhere near a drum kit, especially the ones into Prog Rock.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
tresspassor

Post by tresspassor »

I recently built an October Club as posted on AX84 site. It's basically just a 20W plexi with some extra features. I found that it retains most of the sound / feel of a true 50 watter without the ear bleeding. I also installed a VVR on it to help reduce the volume even lower. 20W is still pretty loud for a cranked plexi crunch tone.
Badside

Post by Badside »

Start by building a JTM45 instead, with KT66s, already more manageable than a "50W" EL34 build (really more like 70-80W while the JTM45 is around 35W)

Include the PPIMV (LarMar), worst case you leave it up and it changes nothing.

If that still doesn't do it, use an attenuator.

And of course stay away from 100dB speakers (Vintage 30, G12H30), Greenbacks are your friend.
(The sensitivity difference means a G12H30 is as loud as an amp twice the power compared to a Greenback)
Amplifiers built:
Marshall 2204 head with some mods
Low-power 2204 (cathode biased 6V6s)
Single-knob dual-6K6GT amps using a Wattkins uPCB
AC30 clone with Plexified preamp section
AX84 Firefly
ampmike

metro plexie

Post by ampmike »

I built a 50 watt metro plexie.Put the lar/mar and just love that amp.You can no longer get the kits from George but the BOM and a step by step printable booklet is still free on his sight.I have a lot of amps here and to this day Ill play that one every night for a bit.Plugged into my mesa 2x12 it kills.
Good Luck in your quest !Mikey
Custom Built Amps for Sale!http://faithamps.weebly.com/
Bob S

Post by Bob S »

Best way to deal with a loud drummer.
Play louder.
:twisted:
Sooner or later he/she'll have sore wrists & stiff arms.
Play nice or play loud.
8)
Why Aye Man
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

hahaha I just imagined that battle.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

I could put in ear plugs or wear my IEMs and then pummel the hell out my band members, but that's just stupid. They'll put in ear plugs and then we'll all play loud as hell, not be able to listen to each other, and quit making music IMO. If you can't REALLY listen, what's the point? The goal is to get great tones at a reasonable level so that everyone can HEAR. I have fired musicians because they wore ear plugs. You can't hear for shit with ear plugs. Even the musicians ear plugs cut the spectrum down to next to nothing. As soon as I know that's happening, I know that guy is not really listening so he either removes them or he is gone. I am leaning towards a JTM45/100, but I am moving at a snails pace at this point. I'll figure out how to quiet it. I find low wattage amps don't ever get close to the headroom that I prefer. I have too many amps and not enough time at the moment.