2204... mostly

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

sepulchre

Re: 2204... mostly

Post by sepulchre »

Thanks for the replies guys.

Martin & Reel: I figure the dissipation for it, see if it's in peril. I've got a little single ended amp that has 47k on the CF. Been playing it for years with no problems. Can't remember where I heard about the cathode/heater thing (not here).

Anyway, I tried replacing my Master with a LarMar. It certainly does not lack distortion - Way too much in fact. Couldn't get clean out of it without turning the gain & gtr down around 2, and then I had to crank the LM up to hear it.

So I'll put the regular master back in and move the LM to the back of the amp and see how they work together.

Btw, Reel - I wasn't getting much gain before because I had the master turned Way down. Crank it up and there's gain a plenty!
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Throw a 500pF bright cap on the gain control. I would stay at 68k on the CF. Turn the PPIMV master to at least 7. Run the gain around 6-7. Turn the simple master up til it is barely too loud, then back off the PPIMV.

Now you have a brilliant clean when you back off the guitar control.

:)
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
sepulchre

Post by sepulchre »

Great, thanks! Oh, the Gain already has 1000p on it. Too much?
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I say. Many people like that, but heck, you are basically boosting the whole guitar with anything that big. 500 throws a nice sheen on the top in this circuit without tilting the mids too forward.

The bottom end of frequencies in the 1000p is the same as the overdistorted PI loaded down by the PPIMV too. It adds up fast.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
sepulchre

Post by sepulchre »

Okay I'll give it a shot. Your suggestion about the various settings works pretty good. Man, this thing sounds great! It'll take some getting used to but so far, Fabulous!
sepulchre

Post by sepulchre »

Here's a shot with the PPIMV. Works Great!

[img:1024:584]http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj55 ... 73c909.jpg[/img]
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Looks great!
sepulchre

Post by sepulchre »

Thanks, Miles. Sounds pretty dang good too. It doesn't show here but I did put a 500p on the gain pot. I also used a 250p in parallel with a ceramic 250p for the treble peaker.

Thanks for your help, buddy!
rogb

Post by rogb »

Reeltarded wrote:Throw a 500pF bright cap on the gain control. I would stay at 68k on the CF. Turn the PPIMV master to at least 7. Run the gain around 6-7. Turn the simple master up til it is barely too loud, then back off the PPIMV.

Now you have a brilliant clean when you back off the guitar control.

:)
Gonna try this one, thanks for the tip!