Old school mods done to a slp 1959

Marshall Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ampfab

Old school mods done to a slp 1959

Post by ampfab »

I just picked up a friends 1979 superlead, appears to originally be a 1959 circuit. It looks to have been modded many years ago. It has at least three different mods done to it. It has two master volumes that can be selected by means of a foot switch. It has a switch installed to cascade the first two gain stages, and interestingly, a FET gain stage that can be switched on in front if the existing gain stages. I'm in process of reverse engineering the FeT circuit, but in the meantime, is any one familiar with this mod? It uses a tis58 FET and is powered by its own 24v transformer.
Congress Park Amps
Reeltarded

Re: Old school mods done to a slp 1959

Post by Reeltarded »

Sounds neat but not familiar with that one myself.

Would like to hear it! How's that FET work with it?
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
ampfab

Post by ampfab »

Haven't plugged it in yet, gotta wait until the wife is not around. It's supposed to rip. the wiring looks a bit messy, hard to imagine that it's stable.
Congress Park Amps
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Messy? 79? Oh yeah.. Like 2 inch leads on grid stoppers and lead dress that looks like a fired Fender employee moved to England?

You'd be surprised at what I have seen, and also at what you can get away with if the amp isn't a 3-4 stage gain monster. These things forgive you for almost anything. ;)
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
ampfab

Post by ampfab »

When I get the circuit drawn up I'll share it, see what you guys think.
Congress Park Amps