Any magic in the Paraphase inverter?

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Colossal

Any magic in the Paraphase inverter?

Post by Colossal »

I've got a mashup project on the table. Tremolux "big box" Tweed cab, 60W Alnico speaker, chrome chassis screen-printed for a Tremolux 5E9A circuit. Slightly modified Tremolux preamp, Steve Luckey's Tremonator trem circuit, and either the 5E9A's paraphase or just a standard long-tailed pair PI (with Deluxe Reverb values, no NFB), and cathode biased power amp. PT is a lower B+ Bandmaster, OT is an oversized Blackface Reverb 6.4k primary into 8ohm secondary (slightly larger lamination stack). Targeting 370-390VDC on the power tubes.

Any magic in the 5E9's paraphase PI that I *must* have, or just go with the usual Long-tailed Pair? I plan to run 5881s and 6L6s in the amp.
johnnyreece

Re: Any magic in the Paraphase inverter?

Post by johnnyreece »

I hope so! I'm closing in on wrapping my Tremolux-inspired project. Waiting for more parts to come in...Hot Blue Plates (among others) on the Hoffman forums seems to think the paraphase is part of the mojo, from what I read (I read a LOT of 5E9-A threads while fleshing out my project). Here's a thread discussing it: https://el34world.com/Forum/index.php?topic=20640.0
didit

Post by didit »

Hello Dave --
Colossal wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 12:26 pm Any magic in the 5E9's paraphase PI that I *must* have, or just go with the usual Long-tailed Pair? I plan to run 5881s and 6L6s in the amp.
Retrofitting the PI drawn from 5E9 into a Mission kit-build 5E3 was, for me, revelatory. In the end, settled in with essentially stock 5e9 preamp+PI pushing 6L6 into 6.6K OPT in a two 10" oversized combo. This was lots of years ago. Had Tweedle Dee been in sight then that might have been. Regardless, respect for qualities of a whole generation of paraphase amps opened up. If you have yet to work with one suggest trying. It's reversible if the character is not to your tastes.

Best ..
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Thank you for your replies, gentlemen.

I am going with the paraphase inverter. Planning to add a plate load trimmer resistor (across the 220k/220k anode pair), as well as a (10k) trimmer resistor between the 220k/220k grid leak and tap point.

I'm thinking of placing the Tremonator just after the preamp and controls, before the input to the PI. The Intensity knob would probably be 50 or 100k-RA to ground there. That leaves an extra triode (we can't have that...).

Preamp will be 12AY7 but with separately biased at 1k/25uF. Standard Tweed Tone control. The extra triode could be used after the tone control, like the 5E3. Or for the Tremonator, both triodes could be run in parallel (but it is not needed).

The 5E9A's stock trem uses two triodes but generates a larger signal. The Tremonator does not make rushing or thumping noises, however, which is what I am interested in.
angelodp

Post by angelodp »

Have fun with that. I just happened to fire up my 64 Tremolux for first time since the pandemic, good lord that Fender sparkle and chime and such a lovely trem. Some magic in the enclosed 2x10 cab as well.