6G6B Build

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

CHIP

6G6B Build

Post by CHIP »

Here's a picture of a 6G6B build I finished a few weeks ago. I used Mercury Mag iron. The bass channel is modified. I love the normal channel. If I put on a recording of "You Wreck Me" or "Cabin Down Below" from Tom Petty's Wild Flower CD, The tone is identical. It's just wonderful with a Tele or Strat. Les Paul sounds great too! The front end of the normal channel also loves any pedal I throw at it. (thanks TM).
(Zen Drive sounds real nice).
I'm not liking the Bass channel very much. I used .022 coupling caps, 43k bass slope, bass pot 100KA /3.3 tail, bass cathodes 4.7mf, TS cap 330pF. It may be the composition of the components I used. I don't know yet. I'm getting too much hiss for my liking, and for me the gain is just overwhelming. The volume above 3 and your into high gain saturation, which some may like. Too much high end for me, also, and the bass control AFAIK is non functioning. I'm going the change the bass channel some day with something I may be able to use.
For now though I really don't need the bass channel, since the normal channel is so wonderful.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ToneMerc

Re: 6G6B Build

Post by ToneMerc »

CHIP wrote:Here's a picture of a 6G6B build I finished a few weeks ago. I used Mercury Mag iron. The bass channel is modified. I love the normal channel. If I put on a recording of "You Wreck Me" or "Cabin Down Below" from Tom Petty's Wild Flower CD, The tone is identical. It's just wonderful with a Tele or Strat. Les Paul sounds great too! The front end of the normal channel also loves any pedal I throw at it. (thanks TM).
(Zen Drive sounds real nice).
I'm not liking the Bass channel very much. I used .022 coupling caps, 43k bass slope, bass pot 100KA /3.3 tail, bass cathodes 4.7mf, TS cap 330pF. It may be the composition of the components I used. I don't know yet. I'm getting too much hiss for my liking, and for me the gain is just overwhelming. The volume above 3 and your into high gain saturation, which some may like. Too much high end for me, also, and the bass control AFAIK is non functioning. I'm going the change the bass channel some day with something I may be able to use.

I love that Bass channel recipe, bass pot is actually 100KB though. I did change the last stage cathode to 2uf on my build, high gain saturation is right. I think sounds better than some Plexis I've heard.

There is some hiss, I rolled many tubes though that bass channel. I didn't try but you might want to try a couple of the lower gain 12A... tubes for giggles.

FYI, look at the thread with the Dumble modified 6G6B Bassman, now you why he padded the bass channel.

glad you are digging it though.

TM
Structo

Post by Structo »

Real nice Chip!

Man, I want a tweed now. :D
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Roe

Post by Roe »

I suggest converting the bass channel to a k50 preamp. the circuits are surprisingly similar
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
CHIP

Post by CHIP »

Thanks TM and Tom.
TM, Thanks for your suggestions. Your builds are always an inspiration also yours and Toms' knowledge and contributions are very appreciated.
CHIP

Post by CHIP »

Roe wrote:I suggest converting the bass channel to a k50 preamp. the circuits are surprisingly similar
ROE, Where could I find a K50 schem.?
CHIP

Post by CHIP »

There are some cosmetic issues I plan on dealing with. such as putting a plate over the un used rectifier hole. I also originally planned on mounting an impedance selector switch, but the location was to close to V3 socket, so I'm only hooked into the 16ohm tap, due to most of my speakers. The neg feedback is connected to the 4ohm tap on the OT.
Last edited by CHIP on Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roe

Post by Roe »

CHIP wrote:
Roe wrote:I suggest converting the bass channel to a k50 preamp. the circuits are surprisingly similar
ROE, Where could I find a K50 schem.?
here on this board in the wreck section. I'm using the k50 preamp into a blonde amp myself. it works fine, but you may have to tweak the circuit slightly
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s