Blackfacing for fun rather than practicality...

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

RyanVee

Re: Blackfacing for fun rather than practicality...

Post by RyanVee »

Maybe that's my cue to attempt some recordings.

What would someone want to hear? Low vol, high vol, gain, no gain...
RyanVee

Post by RyanVee »

Hopefully this gets read:

Following this how-to http://www.el34world.com/charts/bias_conversions.htm I understand how it works and what to do...however in all of the examples he uses the amps all have a 100k resistor in the original spot. My Pro has a 47k there. Am I still okay to change it and add the other 220k there?

Trial by fire, here.
RyanVee

Post by RyanVee »

Decided not to go to all the trouble. Changed it to a standard fixed bias system last night. Gonna do a "1/2" BF and call it good.
rdjones

Post by rdjones »

RyanVee wrote:Maybe that's my cue to attempt some recordings.

What would someone want to hear? Low vol, high vol, gain, no gain...
High volume, just enough gain to reach the 'edge' of output clipping.

rd
rdjones

Post by rdjones »

RyanVee wrote:Hopefully this gets read:

Following this how-to http://www.el34world.com/charts/bias_conversions.htm I understand how it works and what to do...however in all of the examples he uses the amps all have a 100k resistor in the original spot. My Pro has a 47k there. Am I still okay to change it and add the other 220k there?

Trial by fire, here.
You should have 47k on one side, 68K on the other.
OK to use either 100k or 220k.

rd
RyanVee

Post by RyanVee »

Even though I'm not doing the "full" conversion are you still interested in hearing both before and after?

I haven't been able to properly bias the tubes since changing it to a standard bias system...I've got it turned as "cold" as it'll go and my GOD does it ever sound good! :o

Strangely, my plywood body Strat with mexican pickups is EASILY 50% louder than my mexi Tele with a Seymour Duncan vintage rhythm in the neck. It sounds amazing though. Both do.

I can't stop playing with the vibrato either. It just sounds so lush and thick and it takes the edge off of the sound in a way that just...really sweetens it up. I love this stupid thing! haha

You think it might be a good idea to replace the Mallory brand electrolytics, or should I just leave them be? none of them look bad but I've read they can dry up over time...

After this is done I want to start a project using 6SN7's. Something simple I can plug into. I think the only PT I have is massive though, meant to power like 28 tubes in an organ...