early 80s silver face deluxe reverb

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jaw1098

early 80s silver face deluxe reverb

Post by jaw1098 »

I just picked up an early 80s Deluxe Reverb and was wondering what the volume boast on channel 2 does. How is it different from a early silver face without it, as far as circuit goes.
jjman

Re: early 80s silver face deluxe reverb

Post by jjman »

It's essentially the same circuit if you don't pull the knob. I think it's a '77-'79 if it has an original SF front.
If it says "Vintage" on it, -it isn't.
jaw1098

silver face

Post by jaw1098 »

It does have the silver face front with the fine print "pull boast" under the volume knob on the ch. 2. When applied whats going on then, is it using 1/2 of a 12ax7 for some gain?
Firestorm

Re: silver face

Post by Firestorm »

jaw1098 wrote:It does have the silver face front with the fine print "pull boast" under the volume knob on the ch. 2. When applied whats going on then, is it using 1/2 of a 12ax7 for some gain?
It adds the output of the reverb driver tube to the third gain stage. Sounds awful as I recall.
Lynxtrap

Post by Lynxtrap »

Firestorm wrote: It adds the output of the reverb driver tube to the third gain stage. Sounds awful as I recall.
Seems like it goes through the tansformer as well..? Looking at the schematics. http://ampwares.com/amplifiers/fender-s ... xe-reverb/
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

Lynxtrap wrote:
Firestorm wrote: It adds the output of the reverb driver tube to the third gain stage. Sounds awful as I recall.
Seems like it goes through the tansformer as well..? Looking at the schematics. http://ampwares.com/amplifiers/fender-s ... xe-reverb/
Well yes, it has to. That stage is transformer-coupled like a power amp.
jaw1098

thanks

Post by jaw1098 »

thanks so much for your replies and the site with the schematics.
rdjones

Re: early 80s silver face deluxe reverb

Post by rdjones »

jaw1098 wrote:I just picked up an early 80s Deluxe Reverb and was wondering what the volume boast on channel 2 does. How is it different from a early silver face without it, as far as circuit goes.
Does yours have the "Boost Pedal" jack on the back ?

Other than the switch on the back of the pot and a 1k resistor at the insertion point the circuit is the same as other Deluxe Reverbs going back to Dec 1970.
No need to modify the amp to disable the "Pull Boost", just leave the switch pushed in.

rd
jaw1098

deluxe

Post by jaw1098 »

Mine does have the boast switch pedal that plugs into the back and a line/recording jack on the back. According to ampwares.com that makes it a 1979.
rdjones

Re: deluxe

Post by rdjones »

jaw1098 wrote:Mine does have the boast switch pedal that plugs into the back and a line/recording jack on the back. According to ampwares.com that makes it a 1979.
Do you have the schematic for the "Boost Pedal" version ?
The only schematic I could find is for the Pull Boost version without the pedal.
I'm curious because I have a basket case 1981 DR (later Blackface) which is the Boost Pedal version.
I assume it's the same as what you have.

rd
jaw1098

schematic

Post by jaw1098 »

The only schematic I got was from ampwares.com. (see above posts). The guys who replied above directed me there and I printed the schematic from that site.
Lynxtrap

Post by Lynxtrap »

Firestorm wrote:
Lynxtrap wrote:
Well yes, it has to. That stage is transformer-coupled like a power amp.
At first, I just thought that since the boost path bypasses the reverb there was no need for it to pass the transformer either. But it's not that simple of course.