xtian

Re: Tweed Bassman 5B6 Head Build - Electronics Complete

Post by xtian »

Mmmm. Tasty parts, TM!
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

All holes drilled minus a couple for the ground lugs, ahhh aluminum dust tastes mighty fine too!

TM
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

glass

TM
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

Getting closer
dcribbs1412

Post by dcribbs1412 »

Looks great TM,
nice glass.
Interested in what you think of the MCI 35W Valco power and output iron.

Darin
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

dcribbs1412 wrote:Looks great TM,
nice glass.
Interested in what you think of the MCI 35W Valco power and output iron.

Darin
Will do, the MCI iron seemed like a good choice since in reality this circuit is only an honest 20-30 watts and I'm not looking for additional power or headroom, just some 1953 grease. I bet this circuit will make a decent harp amp too. Hopefully, I will get a chance to strip the chassis down and paint it this week. I guess I will have a faceplate made as well.

I'm not going to use those RCA blackplate 6L6gb's, they will be better suited in a BF 60's amp.

Thanks

Mike
groovtubin

Tone Merc

Post by groovtubin »

ToneMerc wrote:Coupling caps mocked up
Man, u ALWAYS make me smile when i see yer boards! fwiw, that super twin D build really turned out NICE!! Very RF-ish!! ;) It`ll clean up and pull out some SRV as well. Thanks for help!

jim@OA
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

Painted the chassis to minic the copper 5B6 chassis of 1952. Now just waiting for the finish to cure.

TM
ToneMerc

Re: Tone Merc

Post by ToneMerc »

groovtubin wrote:
ToneMerc wrote:Coupling caps mocked up
Man, u ALWAYS make me smile when i see yer boards! fwiw, that super twin D build really turned out NICE!! Very RF-ish!! ;) It`ll clean up and pull out some SRV as well. Thanks for help!

jim@OA
Anytime, glad it's working out for you Jim.

Mike
Buzz_Crumhunger

DANG that sure is a beaut!

Post by Buzz_Crumhunger »

:D
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

Wow I have the very same hammertone copper paint in the garage!

In my 5b6 I used Sozo Bluemolds. I dropped the 6sc7 caps to .02s and kept a 220uf cathode cap. Was worried about too much low end with my LP.

Nice build, and VERY nice tubes. :D
dreric

Post by dreric »

Great looking build TM.

What made you choose the Jupiter caps? and the dale carbon films?

I'm always impressed with your part selection and I was wondering what influenced your choices.

Plus I want to make one of these!

Eric
Eric
1949 Zenith, Zenith Toggle Recoil, Zenith 55 & 440
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

dreric wrote:Great looking build TM.

What made you choose the Jupiter caps? and the dale carbon films?

I'm always impressed with your part selection and I was wondering what influenced your choices.

Plus I want to make one of these!

Eric
Thanks Eric

Jupiter caps; I've never tried them before and it only requires 4. :D , besides folks seem to like them and several builders here at TAG use them so I thought I would at least try them out.

The resistors are Dale metal films, which happen to be available in the odd values seen in 5B6 schematic. I've been using them sparingly for a couple of years and the modded 6G6B that I built for a customer, just about used them entirely and it turned out really great.

I'm procuring parts for a 4-10 5F6A build and I'm either going to use these Dales or Piher carbon films, not sure about the brand of coupling caps, I do know it won't be the 6PS or PVC's.

thanks for looking

Mike
rp

Post by rp »

ToneMerc wrote: Jupiter caps; I've never tried them before and it only requires 4. :D , besides folks seem to like them and several builders here at TAG use them so I thought I would at least try them out.

The resistors are Dale metal films, which happen to be available in the odd values seen in 5B6 schematic. I've been using them sparingly for a couple of years and the modded 6G6B that I built for a customer, just about used them entirely and it turned out really great.

I'm procuring parts for a 4-10 5F6A build and I'm either going to use these Dales or Piher carbon films, not sure about the brand of coupling caps, I do know it won't be the 6PS or PVC's. Mike
Funny I was thinking Jupiters too for the 5B6 as it's only 4 caps. So what are those Jupiters saying to you? Love or no big deal / SOS? Do they sound much like old moldeds, if you're familiar? Can you get that rich swirly 3D distortion? Obviously you prefer them to 6PSs. I had enough NOS moldeds for my 5C8 but went with some 20 year old 225PX I had, supposedly the same as 6PSs but 400V and squashed. Zero complaints on the tone, amps sounds very Fendery. Did you use MFs 'cause you just prefer them or did you think matching the obsolete values was more important than using CCs? Or you just playing around with whatever you felt like that day? :)
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

rp wrote:
ToneMerc wrote: Jupiter caps; I've never tried them before and it only requires 4. :D , besides folks seem to like them and several builders here at TAG use them so I thought I would at least try them out.

I'm procuring parts for a 4-10 5F6A build and I'm either going to use these Dales or Piher carbon films, not sure about the brand of coupling caps, I do know it won't be the 6PS or PVC's. Mike
Funny I was thinking Jupiters too for the 5B6 as it's only 4 caps. So what are those Jupiters saying to you? Love or no big deal / SOS? Do they sound much like old moldeds, if you're familiar? Can you get that rich swirly 3D distortion? Obviously you prefer them to 6PSs. I had enough NOS moldeds for my 5C8 but went with some 20 year old 225PX I had, supposedly the same as 6PSs but 400V and squashed. Zero complaints on the tone, amps sounds very Fendery. Did you use MFs 'cause you just prefer them or did you think matching the obsolete values was more important than using CCs? Or you just playing around with whatever you felt like that day? :)
RP, haven't progressed any further on this build. I like the 6PS and PVC, I just don't plan on using them in the 5F6A circuit. As far as the MF, I like this brand type in the signal path and I wanted the get close to the original values.

TM