Fender Sleeper Amp? Brown Deluxe!

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

tooold

Re: Fender Sleeper Amp? Brown Deluxe!

Post by tooold »

rp wrote:
tooold wrote: I'll go with what the others have said. I have both, both are great, but the Deluxe is a Princeton that forgot to take its meds.
I'll agree w/ that too. Today there are 10s" that keep up w/ 12"s but back then not so the Deluxe kicked more booty because of the 12" too. The orig gold oxfords in those things were a big part of the sound, especially set just at breakup. And just below break up sooo super sweet.

I don't think there's anything that exotic about the 6G3, just that the combination of 2 6V6s, fixed bias, and LTP and just a Tone instead of TB or TMB kicks serious booty. Cloners or Collectors are more familiar with tweed 6V6 amps or BF Princeton/Deluxe Reverbs and are surprised when they encounter this mini brown Marshall-like beast.
Yep, it's surprising that the browns and blondes still don't get the attention they deserve. Setzer's Bassmans (Bassmen?) are the most well-known, but they're all just such great amps and, as noted above, it was a great period of experimentation at Fender.

For the obsessed:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/brownfacefender/

http://www.mylescochran.com
rp

Post by rp »

Brown's my fave era. For a while back when such things were possible I thought about amassing all the browns. I had the hardest of all - 2x10 brown vibroverb plus princeton, deluxe, and a reverb tank, all pretty close to mint too. How killer is the brown Super? I saw NRBQ a few times, man I wanted a brown super so bad. And Concert is such vicious thing. Oh well, never made it, good thing too, I hate my collecting tendencies.
Bear

Post by Bear »

rp wrote: I don't think there's anything that exotic about the 6G3, just that the combination of 2 6V6s, fixed bias, and LTP and just a Tone instead of TB or TMB kicks serious booty.
There might be a bit more gain due to the tone control instead of TB or TMB, but there's tons of gain dropped by the voltage divider at the PI. Maybe the voltage divider is relevant to the sound, but if you need more eq control, maybe that can be played around with and keep some or most of the gnarl.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I bought my Brownface about 12 years ago. The other choice was a Blackface Deluxe Reverb.
I chose the Brownface because I liked the dirtier tone and prefer tube tremolo.
Every now and then I throw in a pair of blackbottle RCA 6L6's, TONE CENTRAL!!!!!

It was a wedding present from the wife :D

Blonde Bassman 6G6B would be second favourite fender.
andrew5

Post by andrew5 »

Anyone know about Leo Sleeper, i am currently on buying it for kids room
tooold

Post by tooold »

andrew5 wrote:Anyone know about Leo Sleeper, i am currently on buying it for kids room
And welcome to the Amp Garage! :shock:

:D

http://www.mylescochran.com
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

andrew5 wrote:Anyone know about Leo Sleeper, i am currently on buying it for kids room
I have the George Fullerton sleeper :)
Structo

Post by Structo »

Really?

If you are not a Spam Bot prove it with an intelligent question pertaining to Brownface amps..... :roll:
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

Hey Tom, back off. That could be Miles' brother. :P