Help removing black paint from Tolex on '62 Fender Brownface

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Toppscore

Help removing black paint from Tolex on '62 Fender Brownface

Post by Toppscore »

Hi! I have a painted tolex problem.

Need ideas or products used for removing BLACK paint
off of BROWN tolex on a 1962 Fender Brownface amp.

Any successful products used? Don't want to ruin the tolex below.

What has anyone experienced? Thanks for comments and advice.
Fan of Fender Trainwreck Dumble
statorvane

Re: Help removing black paint from Tolex on '62 Fender Brownface

Post by statorvane »

Here are a number of solvents, but I'd try mineral spirits first. A little dab on an old rag or cloth. Just try working on the spot directly and see if it works.

Others are denatured alcohol, naphtha, lacquer thinner, and acetone. I'm pretty sure lacquer thinner and acetone will attack the tolex.
Toppscore

Post by Toppscore »

statorvane wrote:Here are a number of solvents, but I'd try mineral spirits first. A little dab on an old rag or cloth. Just try working on the spot directly and see if it works. Others are denatured alcohol, naphtha, lacquer thinner, and acetone. I'm pretty sure lacquer thinner and acetone will attack the tolex.
Thanks! Are there any "name brand products" like Easy Off, 409, Kid Krutter graffiti remover, or name brand paint removers that are safe with Brownface brown tolex?

I will definitely try your suggestions ASAP since I have some around. Thanks
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

I did a little searching on the 'net and it confirmed my gut reactions:
1) This is not going to be easy.
2) Goof Off is a top candidate for the job. You can get this at any place they sell paint. As with anything, test it out before going whole hog.
3) I saw recommendations for hair spray! Folks claim it works.
4) Mineral spirits is often recommended, but I think: a) you need to do it outside because of the fumes, and b) you won't have enough elbow grease if it is the whole cab that you have to do.

I suspect you are going to have difficulty getting the paint off the textured recesses. You'll end up with some black in the relief areas.

As a last resort, you might try a heat gun. The problem is that it may also remove the tolex from the cab.

If this is as bad as I think you are saying -- someone painted the amp black -- you may want to throw in the towel, strip it and recover the wood. Sometimes restoration of the existing stuff just isn't worth the effort.
ATL Strat

Post by ATL Strat »

I agree with the above -- if it is totally covered, it is going to be a tough job to get that paint off while saving the tolex. That being said, I bought a 1965 Super Reverb a while back that had a band name stenciled/spraypainted on it in a few places. I used WD40 on a rag and it took it off slowly and safely. It took a while, but it was a good arm workout!
old tube

Post by old tube »

I used Swarfega Graffiti Remover to successfully remove two layers of "gloss" paint from a 1967 Marshall JMP50 head. Top coat was black and underneath someone had done it in a tasteful red white and blue!! Anyway, it took two afternoons, lots of water between applications and tooth brush / nailbrush to remove from the grain. Messy job but well worth it, the Tolex underneath was like new and the gold piping wasn't harmed. Obviously took the chassis out before doing the job.

I live in the UK but the Swarfega brand is made by DEB who are present in the USA, so I'd imagine you'd be able to get the same product, perhaps marketed by a different name?
jjman

Post by jjman »

I guy used automotive brake fluid in a post on another forum. Not near the top of my list.
If it says "Vintage" on it, -it isn't.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

THIS IS YOUR LUCKY DAY!!!

Motsenbocker's Liftoff 4 Acryllic Enamel and Spray Paint Remover

Hug me next time ya see me!
Toppscore

Post by Toppscore »

Thanks for the tips. I am starting with:
1) CLR, and
2) Turtle Wax Chrome Polish & Rust Remover for chrome auto wheels.

I'll see how that goes. Paint remover is a big industry.
Will report my results.
butwhatif

Post by butwhatif »

zip strip always worked the best for me
Toppscore

Post by Toppscore »

butwhatif wrote:zip strip always worked the best for me
Does Zip Strip take rust and corrosion right off and make Fender chassis straps, feet or even the chassis look like new???
butwhatif

Post by butwhatif »

I only use it on tolex and grille cloth. It's liable to make a mess of anything else
Toppscore

Post by Toppscore »

butwhatif wrote:I only use it on tolex and grille cloth. It's liable to make a mess of anything else
That is great to know. I have a 1962 Fender Reverb tank unit that someone sprayed black paint on brown tolex. Gotta remove that as well. Will give Zip Strip a try on the tolex. I was going to have someone retolex the tank, anyway, so might as well give Zip Strip a shot at the job
. . . . . and save some money, anyway.

Thank you.
Prairie Dawg

Post by Prairie Dawg »

Since paint does not readily adhere to vinyl I would go to the hardware store and buy a roll of Gorilla tape. Lay a strip in the painted surface and then lay another strip in top of it. Then use a seam roller to stick the stuff down hard as you can and then lift. I successfully de-painted a brown Pro that way. Then, for the little tiny spaces that are left, get yourself some bamboo skewers or toothpicks from the food section of the market, some Q-tips and your solvent of choice-brake fluid works pretty well, but as with all paint removing ideas test it first on a sample located where it is not readily visible.

When alles in ordnung as they say, you can dab the stuff on those little pits and use your skewers or toothpicks to pick the remainder out.
If you believe in coincidence you're not looking close enough-Joe leaphorn
Toppscore

Post by Toppscore »

Prairie Dawg wrote:Since paint does not readily adhere to vinyl I would go to the hardware store and buy a roll of Gorilla tape. Lay a strip in the painted surface and then lay another strip in top of it. Then use a seam roller to stick the stuff down hard as you can and then lift. I successfully de-painted a brown Pro that way. Then, for the little tiny spaces that are left, get yourself some bamboo skewers or toothpicks from the food section of the market, some Q-tips and your solvent of choice-brake fluid works pretty well, but as with all paint removing ideas test it first on a sample located where it is not readily visible. When alles in ordnung as they say, you can dab the stuff on those little pits and use your skewers or toothpicks to pick the remainder out.

Thanks, Prairie Dawg. Brake fluid???
I will give this a test. No Harm - No Foul . . . .
As I was going to re-tolex the reverb tank unit,
and this may save it from that process.

Question: When you finished your paint removal process,
could you or others tell that your amp once had paint on it?
Thanks.