'63 Bassman

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Colossal

Re: '63 Bassman

Post by Colossal »

M Fowler wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:30 pm Dave,

I got my chassis/faceplate combo here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brown-Bassman- ... .l4275.c10

However, I see separate brown 6g6 faceplate but no chassis. The blackface chassis is same size just missing the presence pot hole.

I measured my BF Bassman to the compare with the Brown Face 6g6 and they are the same just missing the presence pot hole.

You can get a Blackface chassis from seller above or from Zachmdhunder on ebay.
Thanks a lot Mark, very helpful.
Roe

Post by Roe »

brewdude wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:44 pm Do you guys have a preference for 6g6a or 6g6b?
most prefer the 6g6b due to its bass channel. Instead of cloning the bass channel, I recommend a wreck k50 preamp, which is very similar but better tuned for guitar - the eq and dynamics is way better, even though the basic circuit is similar
Last edited by Roe on Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I'm going to have to remove my 6g6 faceplate and see if it really does fit the blackface bm chassis.

Mark
gldtp99

Post by gldtp99 »

M Fowler wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:06 pm I'm going to have to remove my 6g6 faceplate and see if it really does fit the blackface bm chassis.

Mark
Don't bother, it doesn't fit.

I have two of the Brownface faceplates I just bought from the seller you linked to above----- I just matched them up to a Mojo BF Bassman chassis I have on hand and the only holes that line up are the two input jacks for the Bass channel and the pilot lamp hole.

But these two faceplates do match up well (a little filing/adjustment needed) with the two 6G6A/B chassis I bought from Gomez Amps (on ebay) when they stopped production and sold off extras years ago.

I have more of these head cabs like this 5F6A based build I did last year that should work well for my Brownface Bassman builds---- my friends did this odd vid one night when they were getting into the clean tones this 5F6A based build will do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdLn7OTHq6A
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Ordered two more 6g6 chassis/plate sets and Mike says he'll have more later on just email him.

Mark
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

PT Bassman.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

More 6g6b chassis with cap pan for sale on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6G6A-B-chassis ... Sw3vpdukuc
Paul G.

Post by Paul G. »

Brian Setzer uses the B because the SS rectifier gives him a clear bass.

Not editorializing, or opining, just telling you what he says.
Use your head.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Wow, a 100K mid control, I'd be surprised if the tone stack is still working even when it has been turned up to 50K, to my ear 25K is about the limit. Of course I could be wrong.

I though Setzer used the Bass channel instead of the normal channel. The bass channel is quite unusual, what amazes me is that Fender built a Twin and a Showman for guitar and yet they thought 50 watts would be plenty for Bass?

A 200 watt version would have been awesome. 8)
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

To go the other way ask yourself why the heck Fender in there 1971 400 PS Bass head put in a guitar channel with reverb and such !
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

As an update, I have decided to keep it simple and just build the amp stock. Katopan speaks highly of the Bass channel and another comment I read describes it as "meaty". The only thing is getting the tone stack wired properly on the Bass channel as I understand that there may be an error which results in a thin/odd sound that some have experienced.
katopan

Post by katopan »

Funny, I'd decided to stop pushing you to try it first, then replace it with something else if you didn't like it. Everyone likes different stuff so I'm sure you'd be happy with any choice you make.

Did you hear the gig clip I posted on Wattkins, about which the "meaty" comment was made?

The bass channel wiring error was found in actual amps that were built, but the commonly found schematic and layout are correct. Just follow that and you'll be right. Of course follow the 6G6-B. The earlier ones have differences in the bass channel and weren't as good - you can see the progression of experimenting until they got it right with the B version.

Anyway, whatever form it takes I'm looking forward to seeing your build come together. 8)
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

katopan wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:48 pm Funny, I'd decided to stop pushing you to try it first, then replace it with something else if you didn't like it. Everyone likes different stuff so I'm sure you'd be happy with any choice you make.
Ha, no worries. I got to thinking about this again and frankly, I don't need a ridiculously loud high gain amp. Cleanish with a little hair is what I am looking for and prefer these days. 18W amps are still doing it for me and I don't even play them that distorted; just to the point where the tubes are cooking. Of course the RS output transformer is important in getting that right.
Did you hear the gig clip I posted on Wattkins, about which the "meaty" comment was made?
No, I didn't. I'll have to go back and look for it.
The bass channel wiring error was found in actual amps that were built, but the commonly found schematic and layout are correct. Just follow that and you'll be right. Of course follow the 6G6-B. The earlier ones have differences in the bass channel and weren't as good - you can see the progression of experimenting until they got it right with the B version.
Excellent. I'm following the 6G6B schematic, as posted in this thread. Good to know that it is correct as drawn. That makes it easy. Thanks for helping sort that because you read all kinds of garbage about these amps, trying to discern what is right.
Anyway, whatever form it takes I'm looking forward to seeing your build come together. 8)
I'm a little aggravated with myself. My boards are cut, but at work in a building which has since been closed due to an earthquake. So I am hoping to be able to go back in and get them at some point soon :?
katopan

Post by katopan »

I have three main amps - the 6G6-B, Wreck Express and an 18 Watt (Lite IIb and EF86 channels) along with a few low watt amps. I love all three of the bigger ones for different reasons but the 18 Watt is still my desert island amp. :wink: But all three do what they do really well.

I read your post about the earthquake. As if enough isn't going on! What a way to loose access to you boards. Hope you can get in to get them soon.

Link - http://www.ppwatt.com/node/17294?page=10#comment-177807
Rhythm in both songs is the normal channel set just clean of where it starts to breakup and the treble around the tap point. Lead in the second song is the bass channel up full with treble about 7, bass at half and presence at half. Guitar is a Tele copy and speaker is a 2x12 closed back with Aussie alnicos from the 60s. Just one example in a small band context. Gig was outside on a balcony so very dry sound, and I had the PI/PA VVR turned down to suit.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Colossal wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:17 pm I'm a little aggravated with myself. My boards are cut, but at work in a building which has since been closed due to an earthquake. So I am hoping to be able to go back in and get them at some point soon :?
Do you have any drawings? I could help you with another set of boards.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo