Fender '74 Twin Reverb repair

Fender Amp Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Fender '74 Twin Reverb repair

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I've got a buddy asking me to repair a '74 Twin Reverb that's got a tremolo problem, when the volume is at 0 it still has the sound of the trem, so when he brings it by, I was hoping for some ammo.

I've not touched one before, but I do seem to remember hearing something about the footswitch, and if it's not in, the trem being on? Or is that Vox only?

What would cause the trem to leak into the output with volume at 0?

I'll have the amp in front of me in a week I think. Just never had this particular problem before, so I figuer knowing ahead may help troubleshooting. I have heard of issues with the roach needing replacement, but I think that causes the trem to stop working right? AT any rate, this should be the schematic I think:

http://www.thevintagesound.com/ffg/sche ... _schem.gif

any help would be greatly appreciated.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
sluckey

Re: Fender '74 Twin Reverb repair

Post by sluckey »

Not unusual to hear the trem ticking or breathing with the volume turned down since the trem is inserted after the volume pot. Just turn the footswitch off or unplug it. That fender trem will be totally dead if the footswitch is unplugged. Based on this info I don't see a problem.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

sluckey wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:28 am Not unusual to hear the trem ticking or breathing with the volume turned down since the trem is inserted after the volume pot. Just turn the footswitch off or unplug it. That fender trem will be totally dead if the footswitch is unplugged. Based on this info I don't see a problem.
Cool, thanks, I'll let him know, I may not need to 'repair' it then, but I'll let him decide.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

I think he may have just mistated the symptoms to you. Once you have him and the amp in front of you you can assess the situation better.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

True, it is an older amp, and something may have gone bad like a cap or a resistor etc. I'll get it, check the symptoms, etc. With the virus, though I can't really have him show me what's wrong with it. I'm going to have him drop it off and i'll bring it in and work on it...

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

well bummer, he decided to return it because he found one of the speakers seems blown, and the other is a replacement.. oh well... I was exicted to work on it. :(

~Phil
tUber Nerd!