Proper etiquette addressing a forum ?

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

deiseldave

Proper etiquette addressing a forum ?

Post by deiseldave »

What is the proper etiquette for an apprentice amp builder to begin a question on a forum with so many journeymen ?
I have been just stating my question without any greeting (and feeling a bit rude) because everything I conceive has a translation problem: "Hey Guy's..." is too sexist, "TWIMC..." is too formal and cold, "Dear Supertechs..." is also a bit wierd. Addressing a forum primarily composed of men with "Dear" anything is just too gay, and besides, someone might feel that by answering the question, they are compromising thier humility, and admitting that they think they are a "Supertech".
I'm kidding a bit with the language, but it really is a serious question. There are some really generous geniouses on this forum, and I definately want to show proper respect, and manners.
If I were the journeyman, it wouldn't matter so much, but as the apprentice, I am concerned to show proper respect.
billyz

Re: Proper etiquette addressing a forum ?

Post by billyz »

I think you can just ask your questions without any extra FOO FOO, ie, slang, cutesy, generational etc. Just use good grammar and say thank you very much.
CaseyJones

Post by CaseyJones »

I prefer, "Yo, bitches... LISTEN UP!!" :twisted:
billyz

Post by billyz »

Yeah, that works too!
Tubetwang

Post by Tubetwang »

CaseyJones wrote:I prefer, "Yo, bitches... LISTEN UP!!" :twisted:
That won't cut it around here... :roll:

Proper for the turn-table-forum but... :shock:

For express etiquette, i suggest this fine link... www.uexpress.com/dearabby/

Twang
billyz

Post by billyz »

Hey, Are you dissing the the turntable crowd!

"Proper for the turn-table-forum but... Shocked "

Vinyl is final
Tubetwang

Post by Tubetwang »

billyz wrote:Hey, Are you dissing the the turntable crowd!

"Proper for the turn-table-forum but... Shocked "

Vinyl is final

I should of been more explicit...huh...er...should of written "proper for the scratchers and the dub/hip-hop/crowd. I like raw guitar sound. DJ's took over clubs around here.

I loved Vinyl at one time...but it took too much space, and, that SME arm needed adjustment... :roll:

Twang
billyz

Post by billyz »

I hear ya, fortunately we still have a pretty healthy live music scene here. relatively speaking. I was just jerking yer chain.

Austin, Tx
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

I don't consider myself a "journeyman" but have several builds under my belt and know a little bit. I tend to post questions when I'm building. My approach is that no one wants to wade through extra words. IMO, the best way to get an answer to your question is to balance brevity with thoroughness. In other words, do your best to state your question, giving enough background and relevant facts, but work at being clear and concise.

When you ramble or have too many asides, these detract from your topic and make it an extra effort to figure out what you want to know. Some will just move on rather than wade through.

There is nothing wrong with an opening salutation like "Greetings" or "Hello Amp Builders" or whatever, and it never hurts to say thank you. Beyond that, I don't think anyone would take a well written and succinct post as rude or disrespectful.
deiseldave

Post by deiseldave »

Phil_S wrote:I don't consider myself a "journeyman" but have several builds under my belt and know a little bit. I tend to post questions when I'm building. My approach is that no one wants to wade through extra words. IMO, the best way to get an answer to your question is to balance brevity with thoroughness. In other words, do your best to state your question, giving enough background and relevant facts, but work at being clear and concise.

When you ramble or have too many asides, these detract from your topic and make it an extra effort to figure out what you want to know. Some will just move on rather than wade through.

There is nothing wrong with an opening salutation like "Greetings" or "Hello Amp Builders" or whatever, and it never hurts to say thank you. Beyond that, I don't think anyone would take a well written and succinct post as rude or disrespectful.
Well put. That is what my internal ethic suggests, also.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Yeah, just spit it out.

No need for, Yo dudz, what up, aight, etc.

Just say, Hi, new here, got this problem, need to know, etc.
And a thank you at the end is always nice.

Thanks
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

Yeah, a and none of that guess what hide and seek stuff in the title please. "I got a problem" gets a skip from me, "Problem with filament voltage" gets a read.

Dan
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
BJF

Post by BJF »

Hi,

A polite and to the point question gets a read from me- that is if I am around. Much like a 'problem with filiament' is more likely read than 'I've got a problem' much because I don't know if I'd have answer to contribute with on just a general problem.......while specific problems might ring a bell

I don't think any specific courtesy is needed, but that any frank and honest question would be responded to by someone with an answer.

Just a thought
BJ
Structo

Post by Structo »

Some forum software allows you to preview a thread by passing the cursor arrow over the title, like at The Gear Page.
Unfortunatley the PHPBB software of this forum doesn't allow that.

Yeah, I hate those teaser or vague titles too.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
KT66

Post by KT66 »

I once sent an email to Mark Huss to ask him a question about an amp he built and in his reply he basically told me I was being too polite ( he also answered the question perfectly). I was just trying to show respect to someone that I admire, but maybe I was wasting his time a little with the extra verbage because he probably gets alot of email. I guess we are all brothers in amp building and can drop most of the formalities, but a thank you is always nice.

I do think it is polite on a forum to do some reading of it first to see if your question has been asked before. For example, If you are starting an ODS build I would go to page one of that forum and read the first 20 pages (at least) of posts. I have done this many times and havn't even started my ODS yet.
Ryan

Music is the best. F.Z.

http://Classictubeamps.com