typical endorsement deals?

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

krash

typical endorsement deals?

Post by krash »

hey folks ... looking for input from other commercial amp builders here.

I have an opportunity to offer an endorsement deal to a guitarist with a big market pop/rock band. I need a quick education on typical terms of an endorsement contract. I supposed that I supply some quantity of equipment in exchange for some kind of endorsement of the equipment but really I don't have any idea what the limits, requirements, etc. should be.

Any advice, documents I can read, pointers? Thanks!
-josh
--
Revelation Guitar Amplifiers
http://www.revelationamps.com
dogears

Re: typical endorsement deals?

Post by dogears »

Artist pays cost or some huge discount. Bad idea giving away free gear. It almost always ends in a disloyal artist taking the next deal and profitting off of you.

If the artist likes your product and respects your small business, then he/she will pay something for your product.

I'd figure out how much the parts cost and at a bare minimum, give only the labor away.
Sonny ReVerb

Post by Sonny ReVerb »

Here's an interesting read from the artist's perspective:

http://guitarplayerzen.com/2008/03/17/s ... orsements/

It backs up what dogears said. 'You USE what you PAY for.'

[edit] I found another one concerning amps - a little more germane:

http://www.petrucciforum.com/forums/arc ... 44497.html
lastwinj

Post by lastwinj »

its not from a management company in nashville is it?

germ
krash

Post by krash »

no the deal I am probably going to work out is with a band out of Virginia Beach, guitarist already bought/uses/is-in-love-with one of my amps, his dad also bought one, and they are lining up to order another one right now. This guy definitely is an avid user of my gear, so this is a potential win-win.

I'm thinking I'll probably do a 50%-off-retail deal, and probably also loan amps for recording as needed.
-josh
--
Revelation Guitar Amplifiers
http://www.revelationamps.com
CaseyJones

Post by CaseyJones »

Just my opinion but your artist should pay retail for their amps.

If your act is a small timer the exposure isn't worth it to you as an "endorsement deal".

If the artist is bigtime then they have enough income from bein' a "professional musician" to pay for their stuff.

I have a zillion guys sendin' me links to their MySpace pages suckin' around fer freebies.

The "endorsement deal" I offer is that I build killer stuff, it doesn't fail on the road. If it does fail (super rare like crash the band truck and break the amp) then I have a replacement amp or amps expressed out for the next gig.
rfgordon

Post by rfgordon »

As a wee tiny (just me and my soldering iron) operation, I could never afford to give away gear. I do, however, give repeat customers great discounts.

There are also a couple of relatively high-profile regional guys to whom I'll lend gear for special shows or for recording sessions. As it happens, I just dropped off an amp with Charlie for two shows this weekend: Fridays After Five and Saturday's Live From the Hook shows at the Charlottesville Pavilion.

I have also had a couple of occasions to rebuild amps for guys who are contractually obligated to have a certain brand amp on stage, but this is fairly common practice, in amps and guitars. The name escapes me of the guy who "ghost builds" Gibsons for famous guys.
Rich Gordon
www.myspace.com/bigboyamplifiers

"The takers get the honey, the givers get the blues." --Robin Trower