Thinking about moving south

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Shrimp boat captain or window shutters?

Shrimp boat captain
53%
Window shutters
35%
Stay home and try to out ass hole the Yankees
12%

Total votes: 17

cbass

Re: Thinking about moving south

Post by cbass »

Thinking about buying this place and bringing my momma with me. It don't look like much untill you read the description and look at the pics. Probably not a reality but it's a pretty neat place

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5315 ... 0303_zpid/
cbass

Post by cbass »

I can hear Sluckey praying please don't be in Saraland 😄
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

Actually, for the price of that Stockton property, you could buy 40 acres between Saraland and Citronelle, build a fine house, and have money left over.
cbass

Post by cbass »

Yea I wasn't real serious but its got two houses and four apartments a shop and an indoor pool on it. My wifes 20yo son will probably be coming with us. I'd like to bring my mother too. It would be perfect for that. thought it was a really cool old house. They don't build em like that anymore.
We're thinking about buying a small cheaper place and making sure we fit in ok and get established. Then possibly building.
I don't think we're too stuck on having a lot of land as long there's not neighbors on top of us. I've literally found dozens of places that look awesome. I have to make my wife stop looking at the million dollar ones. 😪

I'm thinking about just buying this unseen. If its too bad well sale it and upgrade.That's how bad I want out of here.
https://www.trulia.com/p/al/stockton/52 ... 2039067057
cbass

Post by cbass »

cbass

Post by cbass »

Just for comparison this is what you get here for similar prices here.

A shithole with concrete floors

https://www.trulia.com/p/mo/west-plains ... 2706819246

Just wtf that's all I can say.

https://www.trulia.com/p/mo/west-plains ... 2061044394
cbass

Post by cbass »

I really don't want to do a lot of work but we both hate with a passion laminate flooring. Anyplace I get the laminate will go-to the dump where it belongs and be replaced with white oak. I can deal with heart pine or tile.
Just a random thought that noone asked about. Don't get me started on vynl siding :evil:
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

The house in Stockton is within spittin' distance of the Stagecoach, one of my favorite home cooked restaurants. It's like the Iron Skillet on steroids! Great food. Low prices. It's located at the junction of hwys 225 and 59.

The Henry Davis Rd. house is about 15 minutes from the Iron Skillet or Saraland. Or 25 minutes to downtown Mobile. Lot of affordable living in that area. Gets a bit more expensive as you drive south toward Saraland.
cbass

Post by cbass »

We really like the Stockton house the lot looks amazing but it's only a half acre and the price seems reasonable. I can deal with neighbors if theyre cool. On the street view it looked the lot next to it is for sale. And an empty trailer house on the other side.
We have two German Shepards. I've heard in ground fences works great. They're not aggressive and they're inside most of the time.just not gonna be able to run like they do here.

The only thing we like about the other place is that it's brick and on nine acres. It could be remodeled and added on to though.

I don't know about living next to the stagecoach. I looked at pictures of the food I don't know if I have the discipline to live that close.
cbass

Post by cbass »

I think we really like the Stockton place. The loft is the perfectguitar room. We both love to fish. Was checking out the area on Google maps the park there look really nice. Looks like plenty of fishing nearby.
I guess bay Minette is the closet place to get groceries and stuff?
Unfortunately I don't have that kind of cash just laying around. I'm gonna have to sale some property first. But I think I'll see what kind of financing I can get in the morning and try to make an offer.
Looks like property tax is cheaper there too.
I live 5 miles down a dirt road we don't get much traffic and i can play my amps as loud as iwant . im not used to having neighbors. So it'll be an adjustment for sure.
I've got more of an southern Appalachian accent. I'm already working on my southern Alabama accent. Don't want noone calling us snowbirds :D
cbass

Post by cbass »

Wow it looks like hardwood supplier and hopefully import Birch plywood supplier literally right down the road. I'd really love to open a cabinet shop again.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

cbass wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:56 pm Wow it looks like hardwood supplier and hopefully import Birch plywood supplier literally right down the road. I'd really love to open a cabinet shop again.
Mobile has a big hardwood import/export industry. Plenty of stuff available . You need a planer.
cbass

Post by cbass »

That's awesome and no I don't need a planer. There's no money in planing wood. My supplier here will thickness wood to whatever i want for 6cents a bd foot. I had a 24" spiral head planer that I almost never used for making custom cabinets and when I did I could have done it with a lunchbox planer
cbass

Post by cbass »

Sorry didn't mean to be rude. I can't express how much I appreciate you helping us out. But I don't need a planer :D
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

What rude? I don't see any rude. I was simply suggesting you could buy any hardwood you want straight from the import/export company and at a fraction of the cost you will pay for S4S wood. The import/export yards all have big kilns but the lumber is rough. Hence you would need a planer, or at least access to one.