Thinking about moving south

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Shrimp boat captain or window shutters?

Shrimp boat captain
53%
Window shutters
35%
Stay home and try to out ass hole the Yankees
12%

Total votes: 17

cbass

Re: Thinking about moving south

Post by cbass »

Heading back home today. I've been staying near gulfshores on the bon Secour River excellent fishing. haven't been in gulfshoars except to turn to go to fort Morgan . They can keep that mess. Been finding all the spots the locals go to
I probably should move but I'm not leaving the Ozarks it's too beautiful. It's nice here but it's not close to the scenery in my backyard at home and I'm already burnt on seafood. I did find a BBQ place that had the best chicken I've ever had but was disappointed in their ribs. They were good but I like mine better. But the chicken was amazing
I'll probably change my mind about January
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cbass

Post by cbass »

ViperDoc wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:09 am Not to butt in on your conversation, butt....

I lived in Bloomington, IN as a kid in the late 70s- early 80s. Summer days feel like walking through the deep end of a swimming pool. Large crawdads in the crick, possums in the trees, vipers and families of rabbits in the grass, fireflies at night. The smell of smoked bacon lingering all the way from Ray Hardesty's pig farm. Tornado winds that spark fallout sirens from the 50s and make everyone in the house head to the basement with the flashlight. Those f^cking cockroaches. And black clouds that never end, that let loose even blacker rain. Or if it's 1978, blizzards that lay snow against your front door taller than you can stand up. School gets cancelled now and then. Carnivals at the University campus with ticket games and trailer space rides, deep fried Dragon Ears and cheap ass beer. And kites, homemade that are only good for one or two trips and then you're lucky if the string doesn't break and send your latest creation to the Land of Oz.

And somewhere, someone had some f^cking great-sounding amps. That probably were rusted out or getting close. I just wasn't old enough to notice.
Sounds like a nice place to grow up. Fortunately we only get enough snow to be a novelty when it happens. The ice storms really suck though and in case anyone was confused southern Missouri is in the midsouth not the midwest. The Mississippi delta is closer to me than st louis.
cbass

Post by cbass »

Citronell is a real nice little town the farmers aren't as friendly as the coast people. That's ok cause I don't really like people anyway.

Check out these prices
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

I live in Saraland and worked at a FAA long range radar station in Citronelle for over 35 years. I find the people of Citronelle very friendly. I've eaten a lot of country food at the Iron Skillet. Never figured I'd see a menu on TAG.
cbass

Post by cbass »

The people here are friendly. Itz just a different vibe. We eat at the Iron skillet every time we come through
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

passfan wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:30 am It hit 114 heat index in Bradenton in July this summer. Ugh!!! :shock:
I lived in Bradenton, FL too.

https://goo.gl/maps/Mh9CwpeKahcK9W7e9
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Been on a business trip for a week, so I am catching up, but I grew up in Utah, super hot but dry summers, 90 most of the summer and over 100 for a good portion of it too, but I'll take that dry heat over humidity any day. I just pretty much hate heat at all after a tour in Iraq :D If I recall it was 110 to 120 and like 60% humidity due to the Tigris and Euphrates rivers running through the city of Baghdad.

I have lived in France, the South (in the army in GA), Cali, and now here up in the PNW and I can't think of a more beautiful, moderately temperate location to live (western that is, eastern is a lot like Utah).

The winters get down to near freezing maybe for a week, but barely get below it. Once every 10 to 15 years you get a strong sub zero snap that can be like 10 to 20 degrees but that's happened once in the 10 years I've been here. The summers are always in the 80's to 90's but depending on the year sometimes it sticks in the high 70s with light rain...

I'm never leaving :D

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
cbass

Post by cbass »

Maybe we are moving. My wife has been looking at real estate most of the way home. It's more affordable than o though
cbass

Post by cbass »

There really ain't no place like home
Last edited by cbass on Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
cbass

Post by cbass »

dorrisant wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:30 pm
passfan wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:30 am It hit 114 heat index in Bradenton in July this summer. Ugh!!! :shock:
I lived in Bradenton, FL too.

https://goo.gl/maps/Mh9CwpeKahcK9W7e9
Anyway you slice it that's freaking hot. Just got home and the weather couldn't be more beautiful 82 and very little humidity
cbass

Post by cbass »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:39 pm Been on a business trip for a week, so I am catching up, but I grew up in Utah, super hot but dry summers, 90 most of the summer and over 100 for a good portion of it too, but I'll take that dry heat over humidity any day. I just pretty much hate heat at all after a tour in Iraq :D If I recall it was 110 to 120 and like 60% humidity due to the Tigris and Euphrates rivers running through the city of Baghdad.

I have lived in France, the South (in the army in GA), Cali, and now here up in the PNW and I can't think of a more beautiful, moderately temperate location to live (western that is, eastern is a lot like Utah).

The winters get down to near freezing maybe for a week, but barely get below it. Once every 10 to 15 years you get a strong sub zero snap that can be like 10 to 20 degrees but that's happened once in the 10 years I've been here. The summers are always in the 80's to 90's but depending on the year sometimes it sticks in the high 70s with light rain...

I'm never leaving :D

~Phil
My grandpa had some relation in Oregon. At one point he was going to move the family there but my grandma protested because she didn't want leave her white trash relatives behind. He would vist every year or two he was pretty fond of the northwest . I wish I would've made a trip or two with him. He was the coolest grandpa ever used to buy my beer for me before I was legally old enough 😄
cbass

Post by cbass »

sluckey wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:59 pm I live in Saraland and worked at a FAA long range radar station in Citronelle for over 35 years. I find the people of Citronelle very friendly. I've eaten a lot of country food at the Iron Skillet. Never figured I'd see a menu on TAG.
Shoot if I'd known that I would've invited you to buy us breakfast :P. it was only about 20bucks with tip
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

dorrisant wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:11 am
TUBEDUDE wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:02 pm It's a wake-up call when you realize the weather is trying to kill you. But in Ga. It's the heat and humidity.
You can dress for cold, but you can only get to skin to fight heat. And suprisingly many establishments are not on board with that heat reduction strategy.
100% from experience... I'd take 110° F in GA over 95°F in southern Indiana. Humidity is much higher and stifling. I was in Los Alamos (high desert) last July and couldn't believe how nice it was. Went back to Evansville and felt like I walked into a wet quilt when I walked to the car from inside the airport. If you don't know about the humidity in the Midwest, prepare to have your mind blown. 🤯 I have lived years in both places.
Well our summers in east Ga. are months of 93°-105° at 90-100% humidity.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
cbass

Post by cbass »

TUBEDUDE wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:06 am
dorrisant wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:11 am
TUBEDUDE wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:02 pm It's a wake-up call when you realize the weather is trying to kill you. But in Ga. It's the heat and humidity.
You can dress for cold, but you can only get to skin to fight heat. And suprisingly many establishments are not on board with that heat reduction strategy.
100% from experience... I'd take 110° F in GA over 95°F in southern Indiana. Humidity is much higher and stifling. I was in Los Alamos (high desert) last July and couldn't believe how nice it was. Went back to Evansville and felt like I walked into a wet quilt when I walked to the car from inside the airport. If you don't know about the humidity in the Midwest, prepare to have your mind blown. 🤯 I have lived years in both places.
Well our summers in east Ga. are months of 93°-105° at 90-100% humidity.
This is fantastic we're crabby old men fighting over who has the shittier weather 😄
I'll have to hand it to you it definitely stays hot longer in the south. I spent some time in little Rock one summer that was freaking hot. I helped my brother move into an apartment that was on the third floor of a huge old Victorian house. That had about 20 steps up from the street before you got to the 10 steps up the porch before you go up three flights of stairs.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

True enough, I'm already looking forward to the four weeks of indeterminate temps that pass for winter.
Old age is just bitchin' about the weather and medical ailments.
What happened to my youth? When all we had to complain about was maple v. rosewood, string gauges and the use of sandy state devices.
I almost responded to a post in another forum about Fenders new 1973 "vintage" pickups. Then I realized that was fifty years ago, and that's prehistory for most players today, and has no dreaded '70's stigma.
<old man rant ends>
Now get off my lawn.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.