Jim Kelly amp at goodwill

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Jered

Jim Kelly amp at goodwill

Post by Jered »

Im sure the person that gave this to goodwill had no idea what its worth lol
https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/120816643
Reeltarded

Re: Jim Kelly amp at goodwill

Post by Reeltarded »

I helped someone take 12 or 15 to the dumpster at school. They were the worst sounding amps I had ever tried to play. No joke.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
thetragichero

Post by thetragichero »

current bid is 9k5 so i'm guessing someone does
PRR wrote: Plotting loadlines is only for the truly desperate, or terminally bored.
xtian

Post by xtian »

I am scratching my head, like, WTF?
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

I've only been around two. One in a band I played in in the 80s where the other guitar player had one, and the other as an audience member listening to some hot band of studio fusion guys from LA. Two of the best live amps I've ever heard. Ungodly loud though before they hit their stride.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

My Friend Paul stacey who plays with Oasis and the Black Crowes uses a Jim Kelly combo. He loves it. It's a dense little thing, weighs a ton :)

M
jabguit

Post by jabguit »

Reeltarded wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:25 pm I helped someone take 12 or 15 to the dumpster at school. They were the worst sounding amps I had ever tried to play. No joke.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Jack Briggs
Briggs Guitars
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

GIT started out with 20 amps I think. They were in every lab. They were so hot you couldn't close the lab door without turning it into a convection oven.

Labs are small, no doubt, but performance rooms were not.. and we stacked them in the corners behind stuff to get them out of the way.

I just don't get why the name made it into the future.

I.Just.Don't.Get.It
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

norburybrook wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:53 am My Friend Paul stacey who plays with Oasis and the Black Crowes uses a Jim Kelly combo. He loves it. It's a dense little thing, weighs a ton :)

M
They do weigh a ton and they make a pronounced note around 800Hz when they collide in a large open metal container.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

hold on! i have an alternate first response..

Goodwill? You know whatelse you can get at Goodwill? Covid.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Reeltarded wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:21 pm
norburybrook wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:53 am My Friend Paul stacey who plays with Oasis and the Black Crowes uses a Jim Kelly combo. He loves it. It's a dense little thing, weighs a ton :)

M
They do weigh a ton and they make a pronounced note around 800Hz when they collide in a large open metal container.
on this side of the pond we call that large metal container a 'Skip' :)

M
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

Said Kelly after some "mods" making the amp unusable. The front panel was so hot you couldn't touch it. Lead dress anyone?
DSCN4028.JPG
Pic taken before my friend sent it back to Jim to restore. Then sold. Got decent money for it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Reeltarded wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:24 pm hold on! i have an alternate first response..

Goodwill? You know whatelse you can get at Goodwill? Covid.
My daily smile delivered, thanks ;D

hahaha

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

telentubes wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:08 pm Said Kelly after some "mods" making the amp unusable. The front panel was so hot you couldn't touch it. Lead dress anyone?
DSCN4028.JPG
Pic taken before my friend sent it back to Jim to restore. Then sold. Got decent money for it.
SO HOT.. I'd have to skip it!

lol
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

Jim Kelly is a TAG member and responded to some queries years ago, around 2013 IIRC. I wonder if he's seen any of this? In any case, to the best of my knowledge in recent years he's set up shop again building more of these gems in a corner of John Suhr's guitar factory. Personally I don't have any problem with the tone, it's very Fender-like, though maybe a bit brash. Although I'm not at all a fan of running a quad of 6V6 at rip roaring B+ around 500V, that's pure punishment. When they first were issued, Kelly's quickly became a favorite of Bonnie Raitt & Jackson Browne, that sure helped put them on the map. Last one I worked on was owned by a music professor at Bard College - not that it's any review this way or that. On another occasion I worked on a Kitty Hawk copy of the Kelly that was a stinker for sure, owned by a local studio where it likely became a handy surface to set beer bottles on.

My understanding is that the original run was very limited, like 700 amps or fewer. Their scarcity might be driving the current resale/bid prices, as well as their early adoption by some music super stars, in a similar way to Fender 15" Vibroverbs.

Reel, everybody has their favorites, also items they just plain don't like at all. It's a free country (so they say, whoever "they" are) and ... you know the rest. In any case it's great to see you back! Somebody oughta excavate those amps you dumpsterized, fix 'em up and collect a fortune from willing bidders.
down technical blind alleys . . .