Grain is TOO glossy! How to smooth it out?

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

xtian

Grain is TOO glossy! How to smooth it out?

Post by xtian »

I spray painted a "burst" with black paint, then peeled off the vinyl lettering, then hit it with many coats of clear acrylic:

IMG_0162.jpg

Under the right lighting, it's beautiful! But under most lighting, the grain (which I did not fill, duh) is far too prominent. Obviously, I can't sand it down, because the clear coat is thin, and I can't risk removing any of the black paint underneath. I'm hoping I can smooth out the finish, so I'm asking for your advice on how.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: Grain is TOO glossy! How to smooth it out?

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I'm not 100% sure, and it's probably not a great place to experiment, but I think a few more coats of clear coat should keep making the 'divots' into the grain fill in better. If they're too deep it's unlikely to help, but that's what I'd think you might be able to do at this point. since the spray initially is liquid, it will somewhat flow into the deeper dips and make them more shallow with each coat.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

I kind of like it. It reminds me of leather. To each his own...

I'm not sure about this. Here's my gut reaction.
1) Light sanding, needed to assure adhesion of the next layer.
2) Change from acrylic to lacquer, the stuff you buy at the big box store. (I'm not sure if lacquer will stick to acrylic, but you can make a test piece.) Start with the least glossy finish they make. Satin? Lacquer is generally self leveling, especially when sprayed. This is the reason I suggest lacquer.
3) Thin the lacquer with 1/3 lacquer thinner. Spray a heavy coat. Allow adequate drying time, probably 30-60 minutes, and recoat as many times as needed, each time spraying a thinner coat until the grain is "right."
4) Finish with whatever level of luster you prefer, gloss, semi-gloss, whatever. You might even be able to rub satin finish to a satisfactory shine.
Good luck!
Pmacaula

Post by Pmacaula »

Suggest you ask the guys in the 'Finely Finished' subforum of TDPRI. There is a lot of pretty deep expertise there....
https://www.tdpri.com/forums/finely-finished.47/
xtian

Post by xtian »

Phil_S wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:58 pmThin the lacquer with 1/3 lacquer thinner. Spray a heavy coat.
I don't have any spray equipment.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

xtian wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:33 pm
Phil_S wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:58 pmThin the lacquer with 1/3 lacquer thinner. Spray a heavy coat.
I don't have any spray equipment.
Sorry. Experiment with a foam brush. You might invest in an inexpensive spray gun. I bought one and it works great. It isn't industrial strength, just meant for light duty use. I don't think I'd try to paint my house with it, but it is perfect for an end table or an amp cab. https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools ... alesRank|1
angelodp

Post by angelodp »

I actually agree with Phil its quite striking and unique. It has a leather feel and kinda country. Maybe it juts wants to that be way. I love it.

Next time grain filler first then clear coat. You know Gil Yarron over at Tele forum, he has a lot of great tips on finish work.

Ange
alkuz1961

Post by alkuz1961 »

In my main job, I often have to deal with paint, sprayer, and so on.
Depending on what you want to get in the end, you can go different ways.
If you want to see some grains on the surface, but without gloss, you need to use a spray with a matte finish. I think it will look something like this.
61HaaD+FsVL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
Provided that you have applied a large amount of varnish to this surface, you can safely uses sandpaper with fine grit. Approximately 1000-2500 grit.
It is also very convenient to use Fine Sanding Block
F2213911-01.jpg
This is necessary to improve adhesion and to remove the unavoidable finedebris particles. Matt varnish has the property of making this small debris very visible.

To obtain a high gloss on the surface, you can use epoxy resin. For example like this
16014403_2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by alkuz1961 on Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

For small jobs the Preval system in perfect. You mix the lacquer/solvent/stain/dye in a small bottle, attach it to the propellant can, and spray away. Found at the local man mall.
proxy-image (13).jpeg
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
statorvane

Post by statorvane »

+1 on the PreVal sprayer. I've used them many times in guitar fiinishing/refinishing. These run about $5 locally (Home Depot).

Here is a faded brown LP studio I recently refinished as a gold top using preval sprayers for sealer and clear coast. Colors are Duplicolor automotive touch up spray cans.
xtian

Post by xtian »

Thanks! Great info, everyone!

I sprayed on the remainder of the can of clear coat (was about 3/4 full when I started). Hid about 50% of the grain, I guess, but I'm happy with it now.

Will post photos again after faceplate arrives. Cheers!
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

is it lacquer? use lacquer sealer in 4 coats and sand it back... bye bye shiny eyes.. then overcoat with as few coats as possible..
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
stephenl

Post by stephenl »

Maybe spray "Satin" coats over it?
Steve