Is there a need for a new vendor?

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Is there a need for a new vendor?

Post by LeftyStrat »

With RJ selling off the last his stock, I was just wondering if there was a market for a new vendor, and exactly what the market would want to see.

I've never heard a single complaint about RJ, and I wish him well, but there seems to be a void if he is backing away from it all.

My forte is web design and back-end infrastructure, so I think I can provide a better ala carte experience over other amp suppliers. I'd still need to work out my supply chain.

So exactly what would people be looking for?

- Kits with detailed instructions?
- Ala carte where you could choose the quality of components?
- Services for seasoned amp builders like customized chassis or faceplates?
- A huge database of parts and BOM's for every amp you'd love to build, with per item ordering?
- A service to manage your parts inventory that would allow your to order only the parts you don't have on-hand?
- An affiliate service where a non-builder could order an amp and have a local builder build it and tweak it for them?

Any other ideas? Suggestions welcomed from both builders and others.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
skyboltone

Re: Is there a need for a new vendor?

Post by skyboltone »

That's a heck-of-a list you got there already. One stop shopping would be nice.
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
xtian

Post by xtian »

RJ had good prices, but the best feature was complete packages for the TW style amps, with a set of parts we know are good and work well together, great chassis, and all packed with utmost care and organization. BIG time saver when you know what amp you want to build. As RJ always said, that's a labor of love, not a money making scheme.
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

But is it now definite that RJ is not returning to previous glory?
Gibsonman63

Post by Gibsonman63 »

Lefty,

The one stop shopping adds a lot of value. All of those individual orders really add up in shipping costs. Chassis work is also a big plus for me. I really enjoy the electronic part of the build, but I get so paranoid that I am going to screw up the chassis (for good reason), it ends up taking a long time for me to get past the mechanical assembly.

I really appreciate the service that RJ offered and sincerely wish him the very best. Completely top notch on all counts. You may consider contacting him directly to talk things over. He may have in interest in letting his legacy live on.

I have had some personal issues myself over the last year, but there is still a Rocket in my future and I aspire to venture into the Dumble world down the road.
LeftyStrat

Post by LeftyStrat »

Thanks for everyone's input. I'm holding off until I know RJ's plans a little better.
LeftyStrat

Post by LeftyStrat »

Just thought of another idea that might work well. What if I provided a website for vendors of various components like chassis and transformers. I'm good on the software end, but the logistics of inventory and kitting might be more difficult.

It would still be one-stop shopping, but maybe with drop-ship of components.

The downside is still shipping costs, so I might have to give it more thought.
cesout

new vendors

Post by cesout »

LeftyStrat wrote:Just thought of another idea that might work well. What if I provided a website for vendors of various components like chassis and transformers. I'm good on the software end, but the logistics of inventory and kitting might be more difficult.

It would still be one-stop shopping, but maybe with drop-ship of components.

The downside is still shipping costs, so I might have to give it more thought.
It is definitely a labor of love because it is tough to make any real money doing this. I am in to the quality thing and that takes time and time is money. The masses will buy a $100 modeling amp anyway, until they can afford the real stuff.
LeftyStrat

Re: new vendors

Post by LeftyStrat »

cesout wrote: It is definitely a labor of love because it is tough to make any real money doing this. I am in to the quality thing and that takes time and time is money. The masses will buy a $100 modeling amp anyway, until they can afford the real stuff.
My job would be marketing and an easy path to sales for vendors. My goal is to provide the local artisan a path to satisfy and establish a relationship with local customers.

Small business owners will never ship their business overseas to slave wage labor.
rp

Post by rp »

LeftyStrat wrote:So exactly what would people be looking for?
What RJ offered would suffice for me - especially his line-card trannies, chassis, and the raw wood cabs. My stuff's all one offs and quirky and I always screw up my BOMs and it's just unavoidable to have to go to Mouser and Mojotone, or for me now Farnell & Tube-Town etc, so I don't really care if it's a comprehensive one-stop amp shop (but don't let me stop you!) But RJ's offerings were unique and his esclusive TW one-stop will hopefully be picked up.

So, Lefty with one hand I second your nomination and with the other I'm stuffing the ballot box.