Hung out Sunday with BrownNote...

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Normster

Hung out Sunday with BrownNote...

Post by Normster »

I got a chance to hang out with Rocco (BrownNote) and a few friends on Sunday and play his 18 watt amps. Killer tone and Rocco is definately a pro player. We had quite a few amps to try out between the two of us...18 watt, Trainwreck, Komet, and Dumble. Rocco did most of the playing and really put the amps through their paces. Nice assortment of cabs as well. (My favorite was an old Marshall 4x12 with greenbacks but the little Sammi-loaded 2x12 was a close runner up.)

Loren put a few pics up on his site:
http://www.adlibmusic.net/ampfest06/index.htm

I think we all decided it's time to put a little "Sac Valley" ampfest together. :wink:
jelle

Re: Hung out Sunday with BrownNote...

Post by jelle »

Normster,

That sounds like you had a lot of fun!
I have a question though...
Which cab did you like with your bassman/dumble head? Was that also the old greenback cab or did it only work with the 18w and trainwreck style amps?
I'm asking because I absolutely love my two old marshall cabs with the dumble clones I build but nobody mentions these greenbacks over here....

Thanks,
Jelle
jelle

Post by jelle »

Normster,

Which cab did you like with your bassman/dumble head? Was that also the old greenback cab or did it only work with the 18w and trainwreck style amps?
I'm asking because I absolutely love my two old marshall cabs with the dumble clones I build but nobody mentions these greenbacks over here....

Thanks,
Jelle
Normster

Post by Normster »

jelle wrote:Normster,

Thanks,
Jelle
The Bassman w/HRM sounded killer through the Marshall 4x12! Much different from the "typical" Ford tone, but very fat and smooth, especially with the PAB engaged. The real surprise was how good it sounded through the Sammi's. Just a bit more articulate with a little more emphasis on the high mids. It also sounded respectable through a 1x12 Avatar cab loaded with (I think) a G12H65. I think the Dumble really brings out the character of each speaker very well. It's nice to know that speaker choice can really help you get YOUR sound. :wink:
jelle

Post by jelle »

Normster,

I agree about the speaker choice being very important. I use one amp with several guitars and cabs to get a wide palette of sounds. I must admit that the HRM/non-HRM switch also helps a lot too :roll: .
I'm even running el-34's with a 6L6 OT and it still sounds great!

I hope my other amps don't get jealous.... :wink:

Jelle