Finally!!!

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

HeeBGB
Site Admin

Finally!!!

Post by HeeBGB »

Well after much waiting and sweating.....here it is!

It went from this
[IMG:568:426]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/ ... CF0666.jpg[/img]

To This
[IMG:568:426]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/ ... ior001.jpg[/img]

[IMG:568:426]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/ ... ior003.jpg[/img]

[IMG:568:426]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/ ... ior006.jpg[/img]

PUP is a Wolfetone and tuners are Allparts. It is also a refret. I still need a truss rod cover and a rear control cavity cover plate. I just got it back together and it's late. I will plug it in tomorrow and see what it can do. Acoustically it is incredible but I knew that before I sent it out for resto. I don't know what year it is because the serial number was gone...even under black light. I originally thought it was late 50's like 57 or 58 but now I think it is earlier than that based on the PUP spacing from the bridge.
sliberty

Re: Finally!!!

Post by sliberty »

Wholey crap, Batman!

That junior looks awesome. I can't believe the transformation. Tell us about the process that got it to this point.

What was the donor body originally?
Omar

Post by Omar »

Very cool, Greg! That's a shame what they did to the original body. Look like it was routed for a Kahler trem. What were they thinking? :cry:

Omar
Tone by misadventure
HeeBGB
Site Admin

Post by HeeBGB »

I originally thought it was a late 50's junior. Like 57 or 58. Now that it is all together and based on the space between the PUP and the bridge i think it is earlier Like 55 or 56.

I had Lay's guitar in Ohio do all the work.

When I got it....It had been refinned badly. Serial number lost even under black light. Originally a single PUP LP Junior it was routed for two Hunbuckers, two volume controls and two tone controls. Also a PUP selector switch in the upper bout and a Kahler Trem. Neck has never been broken. Grover tuners were installed but the headstock holes were not drilled out completely so the repro tuner ferrules fit with no repairs needed.

The holes needed to be filled SO they were routed so they were symmetrical and filled with Mahoghany blocks. Then the top and back were thickness planed and veneers applied. Then Painted to try to hide the veneers as much as possible. A refret was also done before paint!
Last edited by HeeBGB on Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

I have an idea that it will maybe never be worth what a clean original would be. So it's a real labor of love. For that, you should be congratulated. Great restoration and great guitar. If I ever find a wreck like that I'll do the same.

Dan
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
HeeBGB
Site Admin

Post by HeeBGB »

skyboltone wrote:I have an idea that it will maybe never be worth what a clean original would be. So it's a real labor of love. For that, you should be congratulated. Great restoration and great guitar. If I ever find a wreck like that I'll do the same.

Dan
I have no doubt that it will NEVER be worth what an unmolested original is worth. It does have some value and I believe I could get more than what I have into it which is about $1400. The woodwork and paint was $800 plus $130 for a refret and $50 shipping (Both Ways). Then parts (PUP, tuners, Pigtail Bridge and studs, Pickguard, etc.) I think I could get between $1500-$2000 for it BUT that is speculation on my part. I have asked a few people in the business to give me a value on it and basically the answer I got was that SO much has been done to this instrument that it's hard to put a value on it because they have nothing to compare it to. I am not looking to sell it BTW. It's probably the closest I am EVER going to get to old wood. SO unless I was offered enough money to make trading up possible (Not likely) I will keep it.
fred_farkel

Re:

Post by fred_farkel »

How Sweet it IS!