Got Sirius Satellite Radio this Weekend

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Omar

Got Sirius Satellite Radio this Weekend

Post by Omar »

I finally couldn't take the radio stations here in Cleveland anymore and bought Sirius for my car. Wow! It's even better than I thought. I bought it so I could listen to Howard Stern but the music channels are what really blew me away! There's a cool feature where you can view what songs are playing on all the different channels so you don't need to channel surf. I found myself listening to everything from the Who, to Metallica, to B.B. King, to NPR, to Playboy Channel.

Omar
Tone by misadventure
MarkB

Re: Got Sirius Satellite Radio this Weekend

Post by MarkB »

I'd like to have it just for the Little Steven Van Zandt station. I get his two hour broadcast show once a week, and I wait the rest of the week for the next one. British invasion, garage, and girl groups, with contemporary garage mixed in. Very cool.

I do pick up HS every so often while I'm driving. Apparently, people use 88.1 in their cars to play the station, and that's the frequency of MIT college radio.
chris_d

Post by chris_d »

MarkB wrote:Apparently, people use 88.1 in their cars to play the station, and that's the frequency of MIT college radio.
Which in my opinion is the best radio station in the area, as well, for about 80% of the day.

Lately, i have been listening to more radio on the internet because i am at home most of the time, but if i were driving more i would be more inclined to look into these sattellite stations/services.

Then again, luckily around here there something like six college radio stations running various freeform formats so usually you can find something good, or at least good and odd. Ahh. College towns. :D

-chris
Omar

Post by Omar »

Yeah, 88.1 is the default station my receiver transmits. One thing I am disappointed in is the sound quality. Although I'm using the direct audio out you can hear the compression, especially on the talk stations.

Omar
Tone by misadventure
chris_d

Post by chris_d »

I hadn't thoought of that but it totally makes sense. Roughly what mp3 bitrate would you equate the sound quality with? Like 192kbps for audio, and say 64kbps for talk? Better? Worse?

-chris
Omar

Post by Omar »

Chris,
Just guessing but from my ears it sounds like 128kb/s for audio and 64kb/s for talk. At times you can hear the mp3 "underwater" effect especially on talk.

Omar
Tone by misadventure