Who has built a Trainwreck and a Dumble clone? Thoughts?

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

keithrick

Who has built a Trainwreck and a Dumble clone? Thoughts?

Post by keithrick »

Well, I must first say that this site it the BEST. Thanks Omar.

I have just recently completed both a Trainwreck Express and a Dumble ODS clone (Hybrid-A w/Normsters preamp layout). They are both still being tweaked but I can honestly say these are two of the best amps I have ever played....and not just because I built them! :lol:

The Trainwreck was the first amp I ever built...and with the pics and layout it fired up for the first time! A huge success. Believe it or not this amp has a great warm and fat clean tone! It rivals my Bassman, I am quickly becoming a fan of EL34 cleans. Turning it up slowly reveals several great rock tones from AC/DC to Zepplin. When you dime your guitar knob hold on because this amp will take your head off! It is like the amp could meltdown at any minute because you are at the limits just barely holding on! In a word, a Beast! My only niggles are the noise floor and the volume. But.... in the amps defense it is designed that way. BTW-regarding the noise floor, I just a/b'd with the bassman and they are pretty close!

I play this amp when I want to rock out! AC/DC, Zepplin ect....

My ODS build is a more complex circuit because of the addition of reverb and channel switching. This amp was a great build as well. I had to do some tweaks and adjustments to get it running correctly and must say I am very pleased with the sound. This amp can grind as well, but, it really shows its character when you roll the gain down a bit and let it sing. The mids in the amp are very complex with a hint of grit from the ceramic caps making it's voicing unique. Being a more complex amp I am still learning the control combinations. The boost function on the amp is very usefull, it allows you to cut through when needed. I believe the Key to this amp for setting up between single coil and humbuckers is in how you obtain your clean using the gain and clean master, for single coils my experience is you need to up the gain and keep the master lower and up the drive and use the OD level to match the clean volume. For humbuckers I tend to lower the clean gain and up the master volume and use the Drive pot to get the required gain. YMMV This amp delivers Clean Distortion....at a reasonable volume.

I like this amp for playing Steely Dan and Pink Floyd type music where a more refined tone is needed.

In a nut shell I love both of these amps for what they do and can honestly say that I have learned a lot along the way.

Have you built both amps? if so what are your impressions and or comments. Just curious 8)
Last edited by keithrick on Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
v00d00blues79

Re: Who has built a Trainwreck and a Dumble clone? Thoughts?

Post by v00d00blues79 »

I built a TW Express, and am in the process of building an ODS. My Express is exactly how you described it, a beast! She goes from clean to mean in the turn of a guitar volume pot. So far i've only played her through a crappy 2x10 cab, but i have a feeling that more of the beast will shine through when i finally get to play her through my 4x12.

Andy
dogears

Post by dogears »

I believe both Normster and Glasman have built both circuits!
Normster

Post by Normster »

Yup, they're two completely different beasts, but both incredible in their own right. I agree about the Express cleans. They have a rich accoustic quality that I don't hear in any of my other amps. The only drawback is the volume. I've been running with JJ 6V6's and an Altair PW-5 attenuator at -8dB to keep it at a sane level. It kinda sucks the tone out of it, but running the 100pF bright switch helps compensate for the lost highs. (No way to restore the "punch" though.) I love using the Tele neck pickup with the amp volume at 11:00 o'clock. Talk about a blues machine!

My Dumbles are both far more refined. The Bassman has a thick chewy midrange that just sings with the PAB engaged. With the master at 10:00 o'clock or above it will sustain forever. Unfortunately, I haven't found the right speaker/cab combination for it yet. It's a bit too boxy with my 1 x 12. I really need to get out and try a few cabs.

My Dumble "repro" is without a doubt my favorite amp. Early circuit, no PAB, but it's the ultimate Carlton amp to my ears. The cleans are mellow and rounded but still very articulate. With OD at 9:00 o'clock, it picks up where the cleans left off with just a bit of hair on the edge of the note. About 10:00 it's blues crunch city. Crank the OD to 3:00 o'clock and it's got a great smooth fusion tone. I got to play it at gig volume yesterday and I was just in awe. The sustain and harmonics were killin'! (I let the other guitarist play through it using my Ibanez AS83 and all I could do was listen.) If I could only keep one amp, this would be it.

BTW, I hope nobody thinks I'm bragging. All I did was follow schematics, pictures, and the great advice of Dogears. I guess my point is, if you start with the Hybrid-A, layout the amp like the #40 pics (acplink.com) including wiring, and listen to the advice on this forum, you'll most likely end up with the best sounding amp you've ever heard.
dogears

Post by dogears »

Norm, your repro is not an early circuit!! It was upgraded in the 80s by the man. It is a sort of semi Skyline stack with some twists....
Normster wrote:My Dumble "repro" is without a doubt my favorite amp. Early circuit, no PAB, but it's the ultimate Carlton amp to my ears. The cleans are mellow and rounded but still very articulate. With OD at 9:00 o'clock, it picks up where the cleans left off with just a bit of hair on the edge of the note. About 10:00 it's blues crunch city. Crank the OD to 3:00 o'clock and it's got a great smooth fusion tone. I got to play it at gig volume yesterday and I was just in awe. The sustain and harmonics were killin'! (I let the other guitarist play through it using my Ibanez AS83 and all I could do was listen.) If I could only keep one amp, this would be it.

BTW, I hope nobody thinks I'm bragging. All I did was follow schematics, pictures, and the great advice of Dogears. I guess my point is, if you start with the Hybrid-A, layout the amp like the #40 pics (acplink.com) including wiring, and listen to the advice on this forum, you'll most likely end up with the best sounding amp you've ever heard.