Calling Gearheads

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ToneMerc

Calling Gearheads

Post by ToneMerc »

It's that time of year again, any drag racers on here?
M Fowler

Re: Calling Gearheads

Post by M Fowler »

NHRA?
bigsmitty

Post by bigsmitty »

Yes, big fan of drag racing!
Greg

Post by Greg »

Nitro-methane is the nectar of the gods!
Greg
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Why did Eddie Hill stop running his rail, never did hear that story?
bigsmitty

Post by bigsmitty »

He probably got too old or ran out of money.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

You rang?
dartanion

Post by dartanion »

bigsmitty wrote:He probably got too old or ran out of money.
He was 62 years old when he retired in 1999.
Eardrums!!! We don't need no stinkin' eardrums!
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

But he was a damn good racer at 62 :) 1999? wow I am old. I got a bunch of those drag racing movies from NHRA and should pull those out and watch them again.

I have't been to the NHRA drags since I left Phoenix in 2006 and never seem to hit the Brainard MN track anymore. I must be slowing down.

Whats your favorite Top Fuel, Funny cars, Pro Stock or bikes?

Mine used to be AA/FA Wild Bill Borsch 1923-T going wild and fast now I enjoy the rails.
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

WJ, is darn near 70 and he's still out there.

You know I've never been big fan of TF or FC. My fav are Pro Stock, Pro Stock Truck before it was dropped, Pro Mod and Comp Eliminator. When TF is up, I'm usually hanging around the Pro Stock guys. Also, I'm a big fan of Outlaw 10.5 and other forms of "Run What U Brung" heads up style drag racing.

I'm ready for the weather to warm up, maybe it will get me motivated to start on an engine build for a friend of mine.

TM
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

WJ, is darn near 70 and he's still out there.

You know I've never been big fan of TF or FC. My fav are Pro Stock, Pro Stock Truck before it was dropped, Pro Mod and Comp Eliminator. When TF is up, I'm usually hanging around the Pro Stock guys. Also, I'm a big fan of Outlaw 10.5 and other forms of "Run What U Brung" heads up style drag racing.

I'm ready for the weather to warm up, maybe it will get me motivated to start on an engine build for a friend of mine.

TM
bigsmitty

Post by bigsmitty »

chris karamesines is 82 and still runs top fuel once in a while. He qualified for sundays race but got beat in first roundby Tony Schumacher.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I did bracket racing when I was young. Built a 1971 vega first with a 327/auto/narrowed 9 inch ford rearend. Then a 350 went in. I should have just when straight to 427/454 and been done. It was fun but then raising a family and drag racing budget didn't work for me.
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

M Fowler wrote:I did bracket racing when I was young. Built a 1971 vega first with a 327/auto/narrowed 9 inch ford rearend. Then a 350 went in. I should have just when straight to 427/454 and been done. It was fun but then raising a family and drag racing budget didn't work for me.
I don't think an intact hatchback Vega ever made it to the junkyard as it seemed like they all wound up on the dragstrip. Do you remember V8 Vega Magazine?

I got pulled over once in 73' GT that a 327 in it. The car is long gone but I still have the 327. I also remember taking a piece of 2x6 and a slegdehammer to the firewall of a 75' to get a 427 and its headers to fit. Me and my high buddies could never get that car to go straight, I'm surprised I made it through HS alive.

Yeah, I feel ya.
dartanion

Post by dartanion »

I used to be really into NHRA and had a bunch of Mopar muscle cars, but sadly I sold them all years ago. Before they went uber expensive. I grew up in Minnesota as well, and all the local drag strips closed down well before I was a teenager, so we were stuck with street drags in HS. We did some crazy shit, so I agree with the surprise statement!
Eardrums!!! We don't need no stinkin' eardrums!