Which Magnatone Is This?

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dorrisant

Re: Which Magnatone Is This?

Post by dorrisant »

martin manning wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:34 pm Sure, easily done. Smokebreak sent me a couple of Russian ones back when we were experimenting. Tracing produces the I-V characteristic and determines if they are in the right range.
Do you recall the Russian part number? I would target that if they would work.

I'm probably gonna do a build thread and start it slow. There are quite a few unknowns.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

No, sorry, I returned them after tracing. Smokebreak may still have some.

I see this guy is still out there selling NOS, $30 each with quantity discount: https://www.ebay.com/sch/warbler_muse/m ... use&_oac=1
didit

Post by didit »

Hello --

Years back I bought what were listed as Soviet era SiC varistors from https://www.ebay.com/str/sovcom, sourcing a few sets of 56V/1A parts. My plans (still TBD but ..) involve scaled down voltages for a pedal design using subminiature tubes so that seemed a rational match. Untested in full and hoping to get back into it this winter, however a bit of preliminary breadboard suggests they seem to behave OK.

As shared already, that shop currently lists 120V parts that that may or may not make one happy. According my readings only certain SiC varistors have suitable dynamics similar to originals used to build the historic Bonham circuits. If ordered, they also nay not make a timely journey into North America given current circumstances as has been pointed out. Skeptical those 270V parts from Latvia can be made to behave with sensible voltages and tube choices.

Best .. Ian