Jim Kelly amp at goodwill

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Pulsonic

Re: Jim Kelly amp at goodwill

Post by Pulsonic »

Seem to recall in my old 80s GP stash, one of his interviews Holdsworth said he used one briefly on part of Metal Fatigue or some mess like that =\
experimental & professional
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

Pulsonic wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:42 pm Seem to recall in my old 80s GP stash, one of his interviews Holdsworth said he used one briefly on part of Metal Fatigue or some mess like that =\
Mr. Holdsworth was also witnessed playing Sundown amps. They were supposed to be the next big thing. Another manufacturer who fizzled out. They were supposed to satisfy the complaints people had about Boogies at the time. Remember back then the Mk I & II were about all Mesa had on the market, so the Sundown with separate EQ's for clean and overdrive channels was sort of revolutionary.
down technical blind alleys . . .
musant

Post by musant »

Reeltarded wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:25 pm I helped someone take 12 or 15 to the dumpster at school. They were the worst sounding amps I had ever tried to play. No joke.
I'd like to comment on this. First of all, I never sold a single amp to GIT. I would have remembered that. None of our dealers ever had more than just one or two in stock. In fact the largest orders we ever filled were maybe 10 or so at a time for export to Japan and Germany - and they had birdseye maple cabs as I recall. Making all those at once just about killed us. ;-) Most of our amps around So Cal had JBL's in them. Dealer cost on those was $100 in 1980 dollars, so it's hard to imagine anyone stupid enough to put something like that in a dumpster. To my knowledge not even the most avid of collectors has managed to accumulate that many amps, so I gotta call BS on this story.

Now I do recall learning that Lee Ritenour donated his two zebrawood combos to one of the LA schools (I heard it was USC) where they did not find favor. A good friend of mine in Orange County has one of those amps in his possession - in original condition, it still plays. It was not a dumpster find.

Is it possible you might be thinking of some other kind of amps?
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

They were there when I areived and very used considering they burned at idle for 18 hours most every day. They had a very special scent like an AC30 does.. not same smell, but like a toaster with paneling n it.

These were covered in some tan fabric?

You could not close a lab door with one running. You'd broil. Hot.

These did not have JBLs. They were black speakers.. GIT had started putting Lab Series amps in the labs and about 6 months in the labs were redesigned to have a place to plug in phones and your Rockman or straight in. No amps.

The future of rock and roll... beeeehhhhh
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

musant wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:11 pm
Now I do recall learning that Lee Ritenour donated his two zebrawood combos to one of the LA schools (I heard it was USC) where they did not find favor. A good friend of mine in Orange County has one of those amps in his possession - in original condition, it still plays. It was not a dumpster find.

Is it possible you might be thinking of some other kind of amps?

Hey, who is that? I think Steve Freeman kept one.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

My schoolmate told me about a conspiracy for two hours and talked over everything I said...

Then he said all of those amps weren't Kellys. There were 4 or 5 and some unknown others. The Kelly amps looked like sharp edged deluxes with light brown covering peeling at every corner. It was a Wednesday and he said I was wearing a kazi sweat and we had tuna sandwiches at Snow White's (every Wednesday)..

.. then back to conspiracy stuff, abruptly.. oof
Scumback Speakers

Post by Scumback Speakers »

I spent 2.5 hours talking shop with Bob Gjika and Jim Kelley on Saturday. I have to get over to Jim's place (my house is still a cardboard box unpacking nightmare) and try out some speakers with his latest amps...same for Bob. They both have 1-2 year waiting lists right now, no no rush.

Saw my first JK amp about 20 years ago. Black tolex, can't remember if it was an EVM 12L or JBL...but when I come over, Jim wants me to bring my old EV SRO "coffee can" speaker, and JBL G-125 I have in a 1x12 cab to try out.

Ok, enough of the small world music talk musings...as you were...

Jim
Scumback - Guitar Speakers That Kick Ass!
http://youtu.be/u6U30BV2kFM
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
www.scumbackspeakers.com
https://www.facebook.com/scumbackspeakers/
https://www.instagram.com/scumback_speakers/