Selling your rights

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

EtherealWidow

Selling your rights

Post by EtherealWidow »

I imagine some of you might have some insight on this. Being that just about anyone can produce decent quality material nowadays with all the readily accessible DAWs and interfaces out there, do you think that a label would be willing to purchase the song copyrights from individuals? What would be the risks, other than losing out on royalties (which normally don't pay much) and not having a say on how your tunes are used? Really, I can't imagine it's different from most bands who really only own the performance rights to their music anyway.
Reeltarded

Re: Selling your rights

Post by Reeltarded »

You can sell songs to anyone who's buying. Labels don't buy songs.

The basic understanding of how the whole complicated thing works is missing. Honestly, it doesn't work these days. Have you not heard the screaming people and shitty music?
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Publishers buy song copyrights.

If you've got a good catalogue of material you can still get a publishing deal.

It can be useful if you need a lump sum of cash.

Marcus
EtherealWidow

Post by EtherealWidow »

Yeah. I didn't even know about publishers until last night. I figured since the labels are generally the ones who own the band's copyrights for the recorded material, they would be a good place to go to. I think a publisher is probably a better target in this case.