Has anyone tried to buy any .22 ammo lately?

Non-tube amp discussion to discuss music, girls, life, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

vibratoking

Re: Has anyone tried to buy any .22 ammo lately?

Post by vibratoking »

You can buy ammo on line and have it shipped.
I have noticed that. $150 for 500 rounds of 22LR. I haven't bought ammo in a few years. When did that price jump happen?
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

vibratoking wrote: $150 for 500 rounds of 22LR. I haven't bought ammo in a few years. When did that price jump happen?
First "everything" made of any metal took a jump up in 2007-8. Chalk that up to high demand in China, also an informal but obvious reduction in the value of the US dollar in Feb thru Apr 2008. Then another jump in ammo prices within the last 2 years. Various states are adding taxes or talking about such - 25 to 50%. Then there's supply and demand. You can rig up for reloading but mentioned above, there's essentially a single supplier for primers, and the inability to satisfy the market drives up the price & limits availability.
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

Leo_Gnardo wrote:
vibratoking wrote: $150 for 500 rounds of 22LR. I haven't bought ammo in a few years. When did that price jump happen?
First "everything" made of any metal took a jump up in 2007-8. Chalk that up to high demand in China, also an informal but obvious reduction in the value of the US dollar in Feb thru Apr 2008. Then another jump in ammo prices within the last 2 years. Various states are adding taxes or talking about such - 25 to 50%. Then there's supply and demand. You can rig up for reloading but mentioned above, there's essentially a single supplier for primers, and the inability to satisfy the market drives up the price & limits availability.
Yes, but gradually.....it really started in about 2005 at the peak of Iraq War. First the price of primers increased due the worldwide demand for small arms ammo. There was point when large and small rifle primers were scarce. Then lead wire took an increase in mid 2006, followed by bullet jackets in the summer of 2007. When the new pricing came out in Jan 08, components and ammo had increased in some cases 20-25% and it has continued to rise gradually. The supply had stabilized and then panic buys of late 08 well into 09 and the current panic buy, post Sandy Hook has driven prices up through the roof toward the sun.

FWIW, there's more than one domestic primer manufacturer, I referenced CCI because they about the largest maker in volume.

Rimfire ammo has no anvil primer, hardly any smokeless powder and nearly all the bullets are wax covered lead, so why is price so high. One simple reason, supply is low and people are crazy enough to pay .10, .20 and I guess .30 a round for it. The price of .30 a round for 22LR($150 a brick) is absolutely nuts. I should sell some bricks and buy me a nice fishing kayak.

TM

cbass

Post by cbass »

Leo_Gnardo wrote:
I'll send my 13 yo down there with his CO2 pellet rifle.It will be a massacar
I won't let him kill anything and not eat it though.

You like squirell gravy and scrambled eggs and brains?
Problem is, if one of the cute l'il tree rats is wounded indoors then wedges itself somewhere you have a stink that lasts half a year (ask me how I know.)

Menu sounds good, just leave out the tails please. The fur gets stuck between my teeth. Anything goes good with a bottle of Franks hot sauce (or your fav brand) ready to hand.
He don't miss . :wink: He's a better shot than me>I don't see so well anymore.I can't see at all out of my right eye so I have to shoot lefthanded now. :x I can clean about 3 squirels to his one though
cbass

Post by cbass »

Price some 30-30 ammo and it will seem cheap.

:wink:
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

cbass wrote: I can clean about 3 squirels to his one though
Cool! What brand of soap do you use? On the squirrels I mean :P
Leo_Gnardo

Post by Leo_Gnardo »

cbass wrote:Price some 30-30 ammo and it will seem cheap.

Heck my fav .50BMG went from $5 a box (back when there was plenty of excess mil stock) to $3.50 per shell. Now THAT's inflation!

Leo_Gnardo's theorem: when you press the trigger you might as well make a BIG hole.

Those ain't for woodpeckers! :wink: indeed!
Super_Reverb

Post by Super_Reverb »

Another option is to go high velocity pellet gun in .17 or .22 cal. I can shoot the wings of of a gnat at 100m with mine (not really, but heard Jed Clampett could) I have a lot of fun with mine and it relatively quiet for a 1000f/s. CB caps in a .22 rifle are very quiet, but that doesn't help if you can't find em. You know that DHS is also hoarding ammo - why? So we can't buy it. Did you hear that? I thought I heard a black helicopter in whisper mode. :P
vibratoking wrote:WTF? I guess that's the ultimate form of gun control. Sorry, we need more conspiracy talk here. No ammo. Talk about un-American. I'm just tryin to take care of some woodpeckers.
cbass

Post by cbass »

I got one of these for silent mode.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chad

Post by Chad »

cbass wrote:Price some 30-30 ammo and it will seem cheap.

How about some 30-06 !! Hell can't even shot for target or fun anymore :x :evil: Chad
Structo

Post by Structo »

Yeah the ammo prices and availability have gone nuts.

I think the problem originally started when rumors of the DHS, FEMA and other alphabet organizations were reported to be buying billions of rounds.
Since when does the Social Security Administration need millions of rounds of ammo?
Then the run on ammo started.

A local membership store is where I used to buy my bulk ammo.
I was in there a few months back to buy some .223 and a guy kind of made a point
of getting the clerks attention before I could and asked if they had any .223 ammo.
The clerk said yeah I have 10 boxes, the guy said I'll take'em.
So no, I didn't get any then.....prick. :x

Then the gun control movement has sparked even more panic buying.

I used to reload a lot too, may have to dig my press out of storage.
But even buying powder, primers and bullets have gotten difficult to find.

.45 acp
9mm
.38 spl

I used to make a lot of those rounds.

Prices for AR-15 30 rnd clips are insane as well as .223 ammo.

But when it comes down to the zombie apocalypse(or whatever causes mass panic), the simple 22 LR will be the one people barter for and use the most. :D
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

:oops:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

Structo wrote:Yeah the ammo prices and availability have gone nuts.

I think the problem originally started when rumors of the DHS, FEMA and other alphabet organizations were reported to be buying billions of rounds.
Since when does the Social Security Administration need millions of rounds of ammo?
Then the run on ammo started.

A local membership store is where I used to buy my bulk ammo.
I was in there a few months back to buy some .223 and a guy kind of made a point
of getting the clerks attention before I could and asked if they had any .223 ammo.
The clerk said yeah I have 10 boxes, the guy said I'll take'em.
So no, I didn't get any then.....prick. :x

Then the gun control movement has sparked even more panic buying.

I used to reload a lot too, may have to dig my press out of storage.
But even buying powder, primers and bullets have gotten difficult to find.

.45 acp
9mm
.38 spl

I used to make a lot of those rounds.

Prices for AR-15 30 rnd clips are insane as well as .223 ammo.

But when it comes down to the zombie apocalypse(or whatever causes mass panic), the simple 22 LR will be the one people barter for and use the most. :D
Started before then see my post above. FWIW, the SSA has armed investigative agents and like any other armed govt agency there are cyclic bulk purchases of ammo. If an agency has 1000 officers, 2 million rounds is only 2000 rounds per officer across a span of most likely several years.That is really nothing considering range quals are quarterly.

TM
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Reeltarded wrote::oops:
Haha, awesome! 8) :twisted:
Structo

Post by Structo »

ToneMerc wrote:
Started before then see my post above. FWIW, the SSA has armed investigative agents and like any other armed govt agency there are cyclic bulk purchases of ammo. If an agency has 1000 officers, 2 million rounds is only 2000 rounds per officer across a span of most likely several years.That is really nothing considering range quals are quarterly.

TM
Well I still don't understand if the Feds aren't buying all the ammo, why are the factories running 24/7 and there still isn't any ammo on the shelves?

I understand the run on ammo by the public but this hasn't really every happened before has it?

Maybe , during the approach of Y2K but I can't remember that far back due to a brain injury? (I got married yo) :D
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!