6SN7 preamp

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

6SN7 preamp

Post by LeftyStrat »

Anyone messed around with the 6SN7 as a preamp tube? I have a stash of NOS tubes, and was looking at trying one in a preamp, but most of the designs I have seen are for hifi preamps. I can't seem to find load line data for this tube, so I'm not even sure where to start.
UR12

Re: 6SN7 preamp

Post by UR12 »

The 6sl7 has a bit more gain and was used in a lot of the Fender amps from the 50s. Personally I perfer the 6SL7 over the 6SN7. Ampeg also used these in the early B15 amps.They are both cool though.
dobbhill

Post by dobbhill »

What do you prefer about one tube compared to another? Just curious, as I have a stash also.
D
LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Post by LeftyStrat »

I have both, but I was interested in the 6sn7 because that is what is used in the Constellation. Not that I want to exactly clone this amp, but I like the idea of two differently voiced channels that can be blended. And no stinkin' tone controls.

So my homebrew idea is the second two stages of the 'wreck as channel two. Channel one would be a 6sn7 either paralleled and fed to the opposite side of the pi, or cascaded and mixed. Then into an 18 watt power amp.

Have the high cut as a pot and cap across the PI outputs.
dobbhill

Post by dobbhill »

Please keep us posted. I'm sure I'm not the only one out here that is interested in the "Connie" inspired DIY amp.
D
UR12

Post by UR12 »

dobbhill wrote:What do you prefer about one tube compared to another? Just curious, as I have a stash also.
D
Well it would depend on what you were using them for. Don't quote me on this , but if I remember right the 6SN7 has a gain of 20 and the 6SL7 has a gain of 70. The plate resistances are also different. I think the 6SL7 was about 45000 and the 6SN7 was about 8k or 9k. (I could be wrong) There is also a 6SC7 and a 6SU7 with the same pinout. I had a 1949 Fender Super that used 6SC7 and replaced them with the 6SL7. They both have the same gain and are comparable to a 12AY7/6072a in a 9 pin package.

The Ampeg B15 had 3 6sl7s, 2 6L6s and a 5ar4. IMO one of best sounding bass amps made.

It's also cool to see all octal tubes on a chassis! 8)