Deluxe Reverb RI - Making Reverb Usable???

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

guitarcollector

Deluxe Reverb RI - Making Reverb Usable???

Post by guitarcollector »

As you know on most Fender amps the Reverb is all or none. I usually run my reverb on 1.5 and it's decent. Once I hit 2-3 sounds like I'm drowning in reverb, which is cool for some songs, but don't want it that way all the time.

Does anyone know of a fix? My reverb on 4 is what I'd like it to be at 10. That way I can have more variation. Can I swap the pot for a different value? Any resistor changes?

Any guys that do mod'd Fender's, how do you guys mod the reverb?

Thanks in advance!
keithrick

Re: Deluxe Reverb RI - Making Reverb Usable???

Post by keithrick »

You can change/replace the 1 meg resistor R26 in the reverb circuit with a 1 meg pot and dial in the amount of dwell you need. Find what you like and solder in a fixed value or mount the pot in the extra speaker jack.
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

Also you can replace the 3.3M balance resistor with a lower value. I use 470K and had good success. I felt it might have cleaned up the amp's tone a tad too.
chocopower

Post by chocopower »

to do that, shouldn´t be change the 10pf cap too?
keithrick

Post by keithrick »

Choco,

I do not know how much of a difffernce the 10pf cap would make with a move to 470K as earlier AB763 reverb circuits used a 4.7M resistor along with the 10pf cap.

FWIW- I still think the 1 meg pot would be the best option for what the OP wants to do...that is reducing the drive of the pan a bit. I just used this circuit in a AB763/Cowtipper amp with great results. Thanks rhinson!
rfgordon

Post by rfgordon »

Changing the 3m3/10 pF to smaller may or may not yield much change. Try 2M2/20pF for a start. A couple of things you can do that may make a difference, that I've done:
1. Change the tank to an 8 ohm Belton tank. This will give you more true delay, and a deeper, less boingy sound. The Belton tanks have more of an "Ampeg" voice, if you know what I mean--a bit darker.
2. Replace the 12AT7 driver tube with a 12AU7.
3. Change the Rk/Ck on the verb return stage to 2k2 with no Ck.
4. Take Ck off the verb driver tube.
5. Replace the grid load resistors on the drive and recovery stages with trimmers and dial in what you want.

Don't do them all at once, but take it slow and see what starts to take you in the right direction.

And, in case you don't know about the cool tricks you can do with Fender verb circuits:
1. Make a jumper wire with two RCA plugs and a 470k resistor, and put that in place of the verb send/receive cables. Now your verb control is a monster overdrive control! Better yet, it's footswitchable via the verb footswitch. Even better yet, get a 1/4" to RCA adapter and plug a guitar cable into the verb footswitch jack and run it into a stand-alone volume pedal, and you can control the overdrive with your foot.
2. Pull the PI tube to silence your main speaker (but leave it plugged in) and put that 1/4" to RCA adapter on the verb send jack, and plug another speaker into it. Instant 1 watt practice amp.

Don't do them all at once.
Rich Gordon
www.myspace.com/bigboyamplifiers

"The takers get the honey, the givers get the blues." --Robin Trower
sebastian

Post by sebastian »

If you lower the 3.3M mix resistor you can make the amp overdrive more than stock circuit.I would try to leave the 3M3 resistor in place and put down the gain of the reverb recovery stage,lifting Ck on the cathode resistor.All the other mods are good
Marshall sound is good!!