1N4007 vs. UF4007?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

roberto

Re: 1N4007 vs. UF4007?

Post by roberto »

I buy them at Tube Town. They are German. Search them as Fischer & Tausche.
Analog Assassin

Post by Analog Assassin »

Anyway, back to the UF diodes, in an amp with a tube rectifier, would a UF diode make an improvement in the bias supply?
Trace

Post by Trace »

Anyway, back to the UF diodes, in an amp with a tube rectifier, would a UF diode make an improvement in the bias supply?

An improvement would be a matter of taste and with matters of taste there can no right or wrong, just tone. Personally speaking I prefer fast recovery diodes in the bias supply but mileage varies to give it a try and see where it takes you. Much like caps diodes can feel different and sound different in certain circuits.

Have fun tweaking
Trace
mhuss

Post by mhuss »

It won't sound worse with a UF, and may sound better -- for a negligible cost increase.

--mark
Rick

Post by Rick »

What is the downside of 1N5408s? They are cheap, plentiful, and have good power and voltage ratings. I've used them quite a bit, am I tone deaf and don't know it? I thought they worked fine, maybe I'm missing something. I hear guys say, the Sovtek 5Y3 sounds like crap next to an old USA 5Y3GT. I have several NOS USA 5Y3s, I hear nothing magical about them. I thought if a rectifier was doing it's job and a filter section was doing its job, the power supply should be relatively transparent. The tone should be coming from the guitar and the amp. How is it that everyone hears all these differences? I'm a tad skeptical, I don't hear all that much difference unless voltages are not the same, even then, it's not a huge difference. Maybe I am tone deaf...??? I can tell when my guitar is out of tune right off though, so, am I just tone deaf in the sense that I'm "tone quality" tone deaf?

I thought these were legitimate questions, I guess not...
Last edited by Rick on Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trace

Post by Trace »

FT in my opinion sounds a bit more rounder and darker than LCR'S but are great caps!!

It's always interesting how subjective tone can be as I do not hear F&T's as being dark. To my ears they sound very consistent and balanced but to each his own.

I use ARS from arselectronics,the same that Marshall uses on handwired series,on 2203x,1987x ecc ecc.[/b

The hand wired 1959 Marshall we just worked on is now using all Ruby caps (IE: from Magic Parts) with the exception of one (1) ARS cap. Marshall changes things a lot and in part that may be due to them purchasing in large quantities to get the best price. Once they run out they go with the what ever else will yield the best price (so forth and so on).

ARS are bright sounding but with the complex mid range and tight bass very similar to LCR. LCR are a bit (very few...) darker and with better midrange but ARS sounds great and seem to improve the power and clarity of any amp only changing filter caps (compared with amps with NEW capacitors).ARS seems to have some little problems of ghost notes in some fret positions but in the end are good!!

Is the ghost noting present when using other filter caps of the same value? Meaning, with all things being equal do the ARS caps allow ghost noting where other caps do not or is it an inherent problem with the amp itself? (IE: design related)

Hav a great Thursday morning! :)
Trace
Trace

Post by Trace »

FT in my opinion sounds a bit more rounder and darker than LCR'S but are great caps!!

It's always interesting how subjective tone can be as I do not hear F&T's as being dark. To my ears they sound very consistent and balanced but to each his own.

I use ARS from arselectronics,the same that Marshall uses on handwired series,on 2203x,1987x ecc ecc.

The hand wired 1959 Marshall we just worked on is now using all Ruby caps (IE: from Magic Parts) with the exception of one (1) ARS cap. Marshall changes things a lot and in part that may be due to them purchasing in large quantities to get the best price. Once they run out they go with the what ever else will yield the best price (so forth and so on).

ARS are bright sounding but with the complex mid range and tight bass very similar to LCR. LCR are a bit (very few...) darker and with better midrange but ARS sounds great and seem to improve the power and clarity of any amp only changing filter caps (compared with amps with NEW capacitors).ARS seems to have some little problems of ghost notes in some fret positions but in the end are good!!

Is the ghost noting present when using other filter caps of the same value? Meaning, with all things being equal do the ARS caps allow ghost noting where other caps do not or is it an inherent problem with the amp itself? (IE: design related)

Trace
sebastian

Post by sebastian »

Trace wrote:FT in my opinion sounds a bit more rounder and darker than LCR'S but are great caps!!

I use ARS from arselectronics,the same that Marshall uses on handwired series,on 2203x,1987x ecc ecc.

Trace

ARS have very little problems of ghost notes in the upper part of the audio spectrum,but tweking the amp the problem disappear.With the same amp in the same conditions,ARS tend to be a little brighter and with some little shrill /ghost notes in the upper part of guitar fretboard,than FT and RUBY/TAD . FT can capacitors are more solid sounding;ARS are more vintage like but with tigh bass really hard.
I think Marshall switched to ARS because they are probably cheaper than european made FT or TAD.ARS is an american company but I think that many capacitors and some other things are chinese made.... (I don't think that the ARS company produce capacitors on his own....) :)
Marshall sound is good!!