What should I build?!?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

matoni

What should I build?!?

Post by matoni »

Hello,
I am looking for suggestions on what I should build next! I have recently come into an old piece-of-shit (broken) Crate amp that I took the chassis out of and am looking for a new circuit to retrofit into the cabinet. I know how to design my own chassis and circuit board for the amp, I just don't know what kind of circuit to do.

The amps that I have built in the past are a Blackface Deluxe Reverb clone (from a kit), a Two Rock John Mayer Signature (I bought the chassis and the PCB), an early ODS 1 watt for a friend (which I designed the circuit board and chassis for), a brownface Vibrolux amp (which I designed the chassis and the board for), and a custom (ish) circuit designed off of a Blackface Vibro Champ.

I was wondering if any of you had any ideas on something I could build. The amp has to be less than 50 watts (because I don't want it super loud), and I want it to have reverb. I tend to like clean circuits and then stack overdrive in front, but I'm not opposed to something with a clean and a dirty switch to switch between a clean and overdriven tone. The chassis slot is quite large, so I can fit probably any circuit in it.

Let me know what ideas you guys have!!
TUBEDUDE

Re: What should I build?!?

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Something Magnatonish maybe?
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Silvertone 1484 with KT66 outputs.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

It is impossible to know a person's wants and likes without more information. Also, your post demonstrates how differently one individual's idea can be different from another's. You say 50W or less, not too loud. I think 50W is really loud. So, where does that leave us in terms of helping you? I suggest TAG's best resources are the files on Trainwreck amps. You might as well choose one of those.
matoni

Post by matoni »

Thanks everyone for your ideas and input! I will take all of these ideas into consideration!!
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

I built an ODS #124 with the chassis and cab from a Blue Voodoo BV60 almost a decade ago. Still sounds sweet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
JD0x0

Post by JD0x0 »

Can't go wrong with an ODS, IMO, and since there's so many generations of those amps and differences between circuits it also doesn't hurt to have more than one ODS amp. :wink:
It's true i've lost my marbles and i cant remember where i put them
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

Build something that uses the same output tubes as the donor amp.