V1 split cathode

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Kee22

V1 split cathode

Post by Kee22 »

Whats the benefits of a split cathode in V1 on a bassman micro variant?
maxkracht

Re: V1 split cathode

Post by maxkracht »

Less interaction between channels and ability to bias each preamp differently and/or use different cathode bypass caps. If you do this, remember to double the cathode resistor value if you want everything to remain the same. Shared 820R = single 1640R, 1k5 being closest standard value.
Kee22

Post by Kee22 »

Can't get my head around this V1 seems like and odd solution. Pin 1 100k 0,022uf, pin 2 68k, pin 3 820 ohm 22uf.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

Sounds like pretty standard values. Pin 1, plate resistor and coupling cap; pin 2, grid resistor; pin 3, cathode bypass cap and resistor (although, since it's only 1/2 of the tube, I'd double the resistor to 1.5k-ish, as was mentioned earlier). The other triode is unused in this configuration.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

Kee22 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:10 pm Can't get my head around this V1 seems like and odd solution. Pin 1 100k 0,022uf, pin 2 68k, pin 3 820 ohm 22uf.
Thousands of amps look exactly like that. Doesn't get any simpler. What don't you understand?
Kee22

Post by Kee22 »

The builder said (not me) it was a split cathode V1 but as was pointed out it only use one side. Just needed the confirmation.
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

The builder either didn't understand how it worked or purposely chose to bias that stage hotter. If there is only one channel, it's not necessary to use the other half of the tube.
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

In the typical bassman micro, V1 is paralleled. Wouldn't be hard to implement that here. Just 3 little wires...
Kee22

Post by Kee22 »

Your right there's only 1 channel but why do you add this extra lead from pin 3? Ground wire? The lead to the left is from pin 3, resistor is 2,7K.The other picture is the old board from above. Still learning but making progress.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

Looks like the cathode bypass cap is backwards, is there a picture of the complete build or are you still building it? Pin 3 is the cathode, if there's an extra lead maybe it is a shared cathode on another stage. Do you have a schematic/layout?
Kee22

Post by Kee22 »

The bypass cathode is correct because the leads are reversed. No I don't have any documents or schematic that's whats make it so hard to for me. I will continue to try and figure out the circuit. I know its based on a bassman with some tweaks. Fixed NFB, balanced bias, single channel, bass, middle, treble tonestack, bright switch, dual 6l6 output, diode rectifier.
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

I don't see any extra wires on your tube socket picture. Do you have photos of the completed amp or is it still in pieces? You should make a layout and/or ask whoever built it for details. If it's push pull 6L6 it's not micro. Take a 5F6A schematic/layout and annotate the differences.
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

Rather than just isolted photos of just the board or V1 socket, it may be helpful to provide photos that add up to provide a complete picture of what you're got there.

Whatever, as only half of (what I assume is) the V1 socket has ever been wired up, it seems that it's a single channel amp, probably with only 1 or 2 input sockets.
As such, the split cathode thing for V1 doesn't apply, as only 1 of its triode cathodes is being used.
Kee22

Post by Kee22 »

The problem is that the amp is in pieces at the moment and its not possible to get in touch with the builder, I've tried. These fotos are from the original layout hope it helps. Any pointers you guys can give me is much appreciated.
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

Looks like the last guy mirrored an existing layout, might make more sense flipped upside down. Maybe it never worked properly and that's why it's in pieces?