What do you believe regarding the sound of passive components?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

If the component value is the same, is there any effect on the sound when using:

Resistors made of different materials?
23%
Old vs. new resistors of the same brand and materials?
4%
Different brands of resistors made of the same materials?
6%
Capacitors with different dielectric types?
24%
Different brands of capacitors with the same dielectric type?
7%
Capacitors with the same dielectric type but different construction?
11%
Check this box if you participated in the survey
25%

Total votes: 190

Stevem

Re: What do you believe regarding the sound of passive components?

Post by Stevem »

I don’t know if it’s been mentioned in this string since I am not reading through it all, but I am firmly of the opinion that how components are mounted next to each other will have the most effect on sound / tone . Performeance.

Especially the installation of coupling caps In the way that bleeds the least signal out of them.

And along these same lines tube amp built on double sided circuit boards, or closely stacked boards .
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
bepone

Post by bepone »

some nice thread about........ "believing"........(worst expresion for any kind of technical feedback)

https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 56#p366656
alnight

Post by alnight »

I used to be of the mindset that the specs were what mattered, and as long as everything was the right value it would work fine. Experience has now taught me that this is true for a given value of "works fine". Experience has also taught me there is a vast difference between "works fine" and "sounds good". I'm currently acquiring and A/B testing different power cords to find out which I like best. They clearly sound different on my amp, that I built. I really did not expect to find that.

Everything makes a difference.
R.G.

Post by R.G. »

alnight wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:32 pm I'm currently acquiring and A/B testing different power cords to find out which I like best. They clearly sound different on my amp, that I built. I really did not expect to find that.
At some point, I think I'll just sit back and watch the show. :lol:
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

R.G. wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:03 am
alnight wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:32 pm I'm currently acquiring and A/B testing different power cords to find out which I like best. They clearly sound different on my amp, that I built. I really did not expect to find that.
At some point, I think I'll just sit back and watch the show. :lol:
IMG_4837.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Charlie
JD0x0

Post by JD0x0 »

This is one of my favorite pics to demonstrate measurable differences exist between different dielectrics. Now, the hard part is quantifying that, and translating to how it will sound in a guitar amp.

It's clear that one of these caps is superior if you're going for minimum THD, for something like HiFi but for guitar more distortion isn't necessarily inherently better. Some people like how monolithic ceramics sound in certain circuits, some people prefer micas or polys.
UntitledPolyvsceramic.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's true i've lost my marbles and i cant remember where i put them
cbass

Post by cbass »

I made an amp years ago. That I selected nearly every component by what I thought sounded best. You guys made fun of it and called it a hodgepodge of parts :( .
if you're trying to sell an amp you'll be way better off investing in making it look good than sound good.

I had some hifi speakers I built but didn't finish the cabs. They sound very good for what they are. Everyone said oh that's cool kinda gave me some half assed compliments. I finally finished them.with a white gloss lacquer and all.the sudden it's oh wow those sound amazing.
I know that's not what the thread is about and aot of people here have very refined hearing but the psychological aspects can affect even experienced ears. I think barometric pressure affects the way I hear stuff.
I'll go back to the garage now
bepone

Post by bepone »

R.G. you can do the same graph for any component change and post here.. what do you say? you need some amp? :mrgreen:
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

cbass wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:53 pm
if you're trying to sell an amp you'll be way better off investing in making it look good than sound good.
Better yet both !
Charlie
R.G.

Post by R.G. »

JD0x0 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:22 pm This is one of my favorite pics to demonstrate measurable differences exist between different dielectrics. Now, the hard part is quantifying that, and translating to how it will sound in a guitar amp.

It's clear that one of these caps is superior if you're going for minimum THD, for something like HiFi but for guitar more distortion isn't necessarily inherently better. Some people like how monolithic ceramics sound in certain circuits, some people prefer micas or polys.
Annnnnnd this is exactly what I keep looking for. If you can measure and document it, you don't have to debate it being real and you can use it for real designs.

Got a link to the origins of that picture? I really would like to read the background and see the scaling on the results.

And I'd also like to see the same work done on resistor brands. Well, OK, and on AC power cords. :D
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

I thought differences in dielectrics was settled science and the debated issue was, could these differences be heard. Or rather, how to test subjects conclusively to prove to those that can't hear differences, that these differences exist as some can reliably detect them.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
Raja_Kentut

Post by Raja_Kentut »

The graph fits not really in this context. Coupling capacitors are almost generally film capacitors.
Comparing a film capacitor with a ceramic capacitor here does not make much sense, especially if it is not specified which type of ceramic is used and what is the amplitude of the voltage applied. Coupling capacitors are in the 2-digit nF range, where so-called class 2 or 3 ceramics are usually used. A known effect of these capacitors is that their capacitance changes with the applied voltage. And this is clearly in the % range. If AC is applied, this results in signal distortion which is shown in the frequency domain as in the picture.
It would therefore be interesting to see a picture comparing different film capacitors with the same capacitance, construction and different dielectric film.

(I apologize if my language is not very precise as I am not a native speaker, but I hope that what I wrote is understandable)
Nothing is better than an unexpected discovery that brings you happiness!
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Raja_Kentut wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:53 pmCoupling capacitors are almost generally film capacitors.
It's not uncommon to see ceramics playing that role: Treble cap in Fender/Marshall tone stack, PI input cap, and one or two others.
Raja_Kentut

Post by Raja_Kentut »

in that cases a class 1 ceramic is the right choice. (if you don’t want that distortion) They do not have this large voltage dependency on capacitance.
I‘m pretty sure that the picture shows not a class 1 ceramic cap.
If you want to compare film cap with ceramic cap for audible application, it should be a class 1 ceramic.
Otherwise it‘s the apple to pear comparison.
In my opinion it‘s similar to compare a „normal“resistor with a thermistor. They are made for different applications. But both are resistors.

edit: I found a nice reading stuff
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceramic_capacitor
(in this text „coupling and decoupling“ stands not for acustic signals.)
Nothing is better than an unexpected discovery that brings you happiness!
bepone

Post by bepone »

now rg will make all the caps vs all the caps spectrum analysis.
he has all measurement equipment.

if not......sorry rg.