Diagnosing source of 100Hz hum

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

martin manning

Re: Diagnosing source of 100Hz hum

Post by martin manning »

Does your HT center tap go directly to the reservoir cap negative?
timrobertson100

Post by timrobertson100 »

SOLVED!
bepone wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:46 am - relocate main rectifier diodes to the far right position- for the test to not destroy the board, can be built in the air, p2p with several new diodes, and mount directly to the capacitor for main Ub+ node
Thanks a million Bepone - your intuition was correct and I would not have got there without your help

I knocked up a quick rectifier board and used the BY255 diodes I had to hand and the amp is *silent* in this mode.

Thanks everyone for looking and helping - really appreciate everyone's comments and advice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by timrobertson100 on Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

GAStan wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:34 pmlooks like the B+ from the rectifier (pre filtered) is bundled with the post filtered B voltages. Is there enough ripple voltage to transfer inductively/capacitively between the two?
Try running the B+ and ground leads from the FWB like this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bepone

Post by bepone »

timrobertson100 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:14 pm SOLVED!

Thanks a million Bepone - your intuition was correct and I would not have got there without your help
no problem, enjoy
timrobertson100

Not quite finished tidying up, but the rectifier ended up mounted on the side like this.

If it helps anyone stumbling on this thread - there seems to be no issue with these B+ leads bundled but note the wire running from the diodes is no longer in the bundle.

Thanks all - I'm going to finish tidying and then close this up.

(Martin - it looks like a FWB but it's just a FW rectifier. The other pair of diodes are a second FW feeding the bias circuit as per valve wizard)
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

I'm betting your problem was bundling the rectifier/reservoir leads in with the others, and that it would have been quiet if you just separated those out, with the
CT going direct to reservoir negative. No denying that making those long runs over to the main board isn't the best idea, though.

It was very difficult to see what you had there with leads bundled and under the boards. I thought FW at first from the diode layout on the board and 2550 scheme, but 2555 (diagram visible in your photo) had a FWB.
timrobertson100

Thanks Martin

I had tried splitting out the rectifier lead and then moved all those around with a chopstick, but never tried moving the CT. I think you’re right that it was somehow getting onto b+ for V2 on that run, or under the diodes. I also wondered if changing the diodes may have been a factor.