Tone control pot wiring question

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Mikante

Tone control pot wiring question

Post by Mikante »

Hello,
Today i have swapped the pots on my 5f2a fender clone for better ones, i had two very cheap pots on this amp and i wanted to replace them.
I picked the first schematic that came out on the internet and wired both pots.
I turned on my amp and started playing a little bit, i didn t expect to hear any notable difference but i did. Incredible difference and i m not saying for the good, just different. I was confused. I took a look at the two pots i had previously installed, they still had the wires and the two capacitors still attached because i have replaced those as well and then i noticed that the wiring was different.
So i searched for other schematics to compare it with the new one i have just followed and there it is.
Apparently there are two ways to wire these two control, i didn t know.
2D8FEC5A-038C-4F45-993A-00317C122C67.png
742E81C7-EF87-493B-A03B-3127C320E51E.png
Could you explain what is the difference?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sluckey

Re: Tone control pot wiring question

Post by sluckey »

The wiring is exactly the same.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Look close, the wiring is exactly the same.
In your first picture the .0047 cap just has its own separate ground .

The tonal difference you're hearing could be because pots have a tolerance of at least 10%, so a 1 meg pot could be a minimum of 10% higher or lower in resistance.

This tolerance also effects the sweep of the pot and does if you used a audio taper type of pot or a linear type of pot.

Also you're using different brand caps I guess, and these will also have a tonal nature of there own.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Mikante

Post by Mikante »

I checked and for some reason i had a 250pf cap installed instead of the 500pf, this led me to think the wiring was different, because the difference was not as subtle as a 10% change in the pot value could ever make.
By the way, as we say in italy sometimes the bad comes for the good, i really like both values, and i m adding a switch to choose between the two :mrgreen:
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

500p has more midrange authority and with this circuit that becomes the defining feature of overall performance. You don't get much headroom to use. 250p gives more process to the volume control setting.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Mikante

Post by Mikante »

Actually the 250pf has something to it. As you said it doesn t have the same range, but it sounds great from half way towards the treble side. Then it gets crazy shrill and not usable but in that spot, I really like it.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Of the two, I prefer the 250p.

I use the 500p/1M on the first stage of some of my higher gain amps and some have bright switching as well. Experiment with bright caps over volume control. 50-100p is useful. 250p is really good. 500p if you run the volume over 4-6 on the dial.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Mikante

Post by Mikante »

I don t know why i saw the 250pf i have double checked and the capacitor was 500pf in the first place.
The other one was different, instead of a 4700pf i had isntalled a 4000pf, it is an old ceramic capacitor i bought on ebay to make a big muff triangle clone. The pedal was a complete failure so i had these components laying around and i decided to use it. I thought it was a 5000pf but i was wrong.
I m here with a further question. How does this components work in the princeton tone control?
I know it is supposed to act like the tone knob on the guitar but the values are different, much larger.
thetragichero

Post by thetragichero »

easiest way to figure out what it does is to sketch out the pot at its rotational extremes. all of the way to the treble side it acts like a 'bright cap' on the volume control. all of the way to the bass side it's a capacitor to ground. capacitor acts like a short to ground for higher frequencies but lower frequencies just 'pass on by' to the next stage
PRR wrote: Plotting loadlines is only for the truly desperate, or terminally bored.
Mikante

Post by Mikante »

Thank you,
I usually leave it in the middle position or slightly towards the highs.
The 4000pf has more high mids focus, i really like it.
I think i will try the 3300pf,