Resistors for the rest of us

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

thetragichero

Re: Resistors for the rest of us

Post by thetragichero »

xtian wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:47 pm For small quantities (<100) tubesandmore.com (cedist.com) is great for carbon film: https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/r ... -tolerance
if i remember correctly it's cheaper to buy 100 than it is to buy 20 once the quantity discount is factored in
PRR wrote: Plotting loadlines is only for the truly desperate, or terminally bored.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

thetragichero wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:05 pmif i remember correctly it's cheaper to buy 100 than it is to buy 20 once the quantity discount is factored in
The price decreases very nearly logarithmically. Below I added a couple of calcs to the Mouser quantity discount pricing for KOA MF. You can see, for example, that if you want 58, you might as well buy 100 because the excess will be free. For some reason the biggest additional discount for buying in quantity comes when you buy 100, which is 42% cheaper than buying in quantity 10. It would take me a long time to use 100 resistors of the same value, even the common ones, so I'm usually buying ten or twenty at a time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

martin manning wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:26 am
thetragichero wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:05 pmif i remember correctly it's cheaper to buy 100 than it is to buy 20 once the quantity discount is factored in
The price decreases very nearly logarithmically. Below I added a couple of calcs to the Mouser quantity discount pricing for KOA MF. You can see, for example, that if you want 58, you might as well buy 100 because the excess will be free. For some reason the biggest additional discount for buying in quantity comes when you buy 100, which is 42% cheaper than buying in quantity 10. It would take me a long time to use 100 resistors of the same value, even the common ones, so I'm usually buying ten or twenty at a time.
Thanks for doing the math on this one! It's funny how some sites do volume discounts, and where the "best deals" are found.
T Wilcox

Post by T Wilcox »

For some other bulk items I use these guys. Ships from China so observe shipping charge
https://www.lcsc.com/product-detail/Thr ... 43040.html
These 1W MF 500V 5% resistors are <$.03 ea

They also carry Rubycon radial 450v electrolytics and Omron relays at great prices

hope this helps someone
mhuss

Post by mhuss »

https://www.mouser.com/c/?q=xicon%201w%20resistor

You can buy one for $0.20 (and pay $12 for shipping, sigh).
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

:shock:

Yageo FMP 3w metal films are sexy.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

Reeltarded wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:41 pm Yageo FMP 3w metal films are sexy.
Pink, stylish, and rated for 750v. Has been my standard for power supplies for a while. In the before times, I think they were less than the 1w xicons when buying in quantity.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I like the shape the sheen and the color. I'm going to order a couple sets to try them out right now.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
ampbldr2

Post by ampbldr2 »

If cost is no concern NTE is a great product.
https://www.ntepartsdirect.com/ENG/PROD ... F_1_2_WATT
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

Just got a lifecycle change notification from mouser on the 1w xicon carbon films "not recommended for new designs"
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

Just wanted to throw an update on this: I ended up ordering some Royal Ohm CFR01W-series 1W resistors from Tayda (I couldn't find that series at Mouser or DigiKey). The spec sheet indicated they were ~72mm, but the Tayda website said they were only 64mm. I bit the bullet and bought a variety, and was not disappointed. They appear to be closer to 75mm, which is a good length. Max working voltage of 500V, with max overload voltage of 1,000V. At $.04/each, they're a winner to me! They're a little big for my taste, but if that's what it takes to get the proper length, so be it. Thanks again to everyone for their input!
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

I've been using those Royal Ohm resistors for a while now. They sound great. Price is very nice too.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

Big royal ohms are great, have been very happy with them, but wish they came in a few more values.
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

maxkracht wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:07 pm Big royal ohms are great, have been very happy with them, but wish they came in a few more values.
Yeah, I'm already modifying my build. I was supposed to use 220k in my PI, but RO only has 200k and 240k. I did happen to find a couple 240K that were only about 236k. I suppose 7% is close enough for me.
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

I think the royal ohms from mouser come in a few more values, but they are the same size as 1w xicons and a bit more expensive. 2w carbon films are usually the same size as the big royal ohms if you need stuff to match.