McIntyre Bluesbreaker

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

aumamps

McIntyre Bluesbreaker

Post by aumamps »

I was just curious if anyone here can provide a few soundsamples of this amplifier.
I've seen that a few people here have built it (and I know there are multiple variations)
But Id really love to hear the preamp blend mod.
And any insight into building this preamp blend into a plate follower Tonestack (classic Fender) versus the cathode follower via Marshall thats found in the McIntyre build.
BobSimpson

Re: McIntyre Bluesbreaker

Post by BobSimpson »

I built that Blackface Bassman mod in '94, I think. '95 maybe...
It came out in Guitar player magazine, and Bassman amps were really cheap then,
$50 to $100 probably, which made for a great test bed.
I no longer have it, and I didn't have the ability to record everything back then...
It sounded good. Really loud as I remember.
Preamp blend had some interesting sounds, but nothing earth shaking.
Good luck.
pullshocks

Post by pullshocks »

Since nobody is responding with sound clips, I'll relate my experience, FWIW. When the McIntyre article came out in Guitar Player, I cobbled up a build from an Eico Stereo 20 hi fi amp. It was my first tube guitar amp project and I was thrilled that it worked first time, and did not have any hum issues. But I did not like it very much. I had been playing a SFDR for a number of years, and the project amp always sounded thin and treble-y to me, no matter what I did with the controls and switches.

I'm sure an exact build with the Bassman iron and EL34s would sound different and quite possibly better. And I may have liked it better if I had been able to turn it up beyond home practice levels, or if I had the attenuator I have now.

But once some of the Dumble schematics became accessible I gutted the Bluesmaker project and moved on.
aumamps

Post by aumamps »

I appreciate the replies.
I am basically doing a bassman utilizing the extra half triode for a gain stage, but was curious about implementing the parallel input blend as well.
John_P_WI

Post by John_P_WI »

I built it early 90's, Jon was a great guy to talk to back then - before the internet. Parallel input was nice, bright amp, very loud - think of a trainwreck it was meant to be played loud for breakup. If I was to build it today, I think I would probably darken the 100k plate normal side and increase the gain on the other half. There really wasn't an A -B difference. Also, I'd lower the voltage to V1. Only problem my build really had was overdriving the PI which would get phasey / fuzzy at high volumes if I recall. Good times, wish I had those 30 years back lol.
aumamps

Post by aumamps »

I appreciate that input!
I was considering using a PPI master volume as everyone has mentioned how loud it is.
I was indeed curious about the plate resistor values.
aumamps

Post by aumamps »

The new Marshalls have a similar platform with the "tilt" control. But I haven't noticed much of a difference while blending either.