Please Review: Ampeg V5 to Hiwatt DR103 Conversion

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

BungleSim

Please Review: Ampeg V5 to Hiwatt DR103 Conversion

Post by BungleSim »

Quick background: My friend/guitar player in my band bought an Ampeg V5 in hopes of having a cool variation on a 2203 circuit but we found out after purchasing (Reverb) that the previous owner had totally gutted the amp and modded it beyond recognition with all new iron. Rather than make it just another 2203 clone (the original iron would be hard to come by), we decided to turn it into a Hiwatt DR103 which is the amp he actually wanted all along.

Attached are the schematic and wiring layout I came up with. It'd be appreciated if a couple of you wouldn't mind giving it a once-over to make sure I didn't make any glaring errors while I'm still in the planning and purchasing stage.

A few notes:
  • I'm using the linked input preamp with the linked input jack only
  • I know that C22B should be a 16uF cap but it was just easier to make it 32uF for the sake of this project
  • I'm using Mojotone (Heyboer) transformers
  • The V5 has BRIGHT and GAIN switches on the front panel so I figured I'd utilize the BRIGHT switch to play with different values of coupling cap C3 on the bright channel
  • The V5 has neon lamp power and standby switches, so I am still utilizing those as designed (according to the V5 schematic)
  • I don't want to modify the face of the V5 much if possible so I'm utilizing the LOW INPUT jack hole for the NORMAL GAIN pot and the PRE-VOLUME pot hole will be for the BRIGHT GAIN pot
  • I'm doing a hybrid PCB/PTP design to make things a little easier on myself. I plan on ordering the PCB with 2oz copper.
  • The three caps off to the side - C20, C21, C22 - will be placed where the three green circles are under the PCB
I think that's about it. Let me know what you think! Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mhuss

Re: Please Review: Ampeg V5 to Hiwatt DR103 Conversion

Post by mhuss »

Sounds like a good project. I don't have any objection to any of your bullet points.

Best of luck with it.
BungleSim

Re: Please Review: Ampeg V5 to Hiwatt DR103 Conversion

Post by BungleSim »

mhuss wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:20 pm Sounds like a good project. I don't have any objection to any of your bullet points.

Best of luck with it.
Thanks and thank you for the schematics on your website that I referenced!