Hiwatt DR201 OT - Tube Town vs TAD

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

BungleSim

Hiwatt DR201 OT - Tube Town vs TAD

Post by BungleSim »

I'm building a Hiwatt DR103 type of amp for my friend/guitar player in my band. We're into big, loud amps and I've been curious about KT88 tubes so I'm thinking about sticking a DR201 OT in the amp and using 4X KT88s to get 200W out.

The price of a DR201 OT from Tube Town is pretty good at 110 EUR, but I also see that TAD has one for 249 EUR and I gotta wonder - why the significant price difference? Based on my search of this forum, it seems like you guys like and trust Tube Town's stuff but what do you think here? Should I go with the cheaper transformer or do you think TAD's will be that much better?

Thanks in advance for any replies!
mhuss

Re: Hiwatt DR201 OT - Tube Town vs TAD

Post by mhuss »

I can't speak to the quality of either, but I doubt either would be a bad choice. HOWEVER, if you want 200 watts, you're going to need a DR201-style power transformer and power supply circuit that produces ~700VDC. This will make the amp MUCH heavier. :o

The 201 chassis is also physically larger to allow for (among other things) proper output tube spacing for ventilation.

Note that 200 watts is only ~3db louder than 100 watts, you may want to reconsider.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

If he is already paying thru a 4-12” cab then it will be cheaper and as you are searching for louder to add another cabinet with 2-12” speakers then to mod a current 100 watt build to 200 watts.

You also will need to mod the 100 watters driver stage since a 12ax7 does not have the current output that’s needed for the KT88s.

You seem to be thinking simplistically that just a OT and KT88s from a 200 watt amp gets you to your goal.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

I read somewhere that Tube Town(/inMADout?) transformers may be cheaper for not passing HiPot tests, yet I'm not even sure that gossip is worth reporting... :?
(with sincere apologies if this is untrue but I would like my related trouble to be dissipated)
chaccmgr

Post by chaccmgr »

200W for guitar? Oumph!
Whom do you want to kill with 200W? The audience will get the sound primarily via the PA. Moderate loudness on stage is a plus in my experience. Usually 100W in a guitar amp with a 4x12 is considered to be too loud already.
right, more efficient speakers (or more of them) is an easy fix to get more loudness.

Technical:
to squeeze out 200W out of 4xKT88 you will need to drive the power tubes either with a tube cathode follower or a mosfet source follower per side. Otherwise you won't reach the full output.

TAD has a reputation of being overpriced throughout the entire lineup while delivering good quality
I'm a regular customer of Tube Town and I even used the mentioned set of transformers in a bass amp with pleasing results. In my opinion Tube Town is a very serious store without all that voodoo / snake oil stuff TAD will tell (and charge) you.
BungleSim

Post by BungleSim »

I'm a regular customer of Tube Town and I even used the mentioned set of transformers in a bass amp with pleasing results. In my opinion Tube Town is a very serious store without all that voodoo / snake oil stuff TAD will tell (and charge) you.
Thank you for answering my question directly! I really appreciate it, truly.

Next time I'll leave the stuff out about what I plan on doing with the transformer as people obviously got hung up on that. I worked a lot of hours last week and my brain was fried when I made the post. I'm aware that it takes more than an OT and some KT88s to produce 200W out. Sorry for making everyone think I didn't understand that.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

By the way that OT from tube town must be a mistake.

It’s stated as only weighing 5.3, while the other tips the scales at 7.3 like a true 200 watt OT should.

I believe the tube town one is really a 100 watt OT.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
chaccmgr

Post by chaccmgr »

No, I used it, it is 200W (actually 250W)
Note: Tube-Town is a German vendor, so the weight unit is kilograms not lbs (equals roughly 11lbs) :D
Roe

Post by Roe »

the tube town stuff is good quality generally (I'm using their 135VA ringkern PT)
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
mhuss

Post by mhuss »

Aside: An ECC83/12AX7 may lack the oomph to drive a 201 output stage, but an ECC81/12AT7 can do it, and has in every HIWATT DR201 ever made. :D