Studs for baffle

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

rutledj

Studs for baffle

Post by rutledj »

I've usually used t-nuts for mounting the speaker but notice most commercial amps have a threaded stud. I'm assuming these are kinda like a threaded t-nut? Not sure of the proper name but does anyone know a source for these?
sluckey

Re: Studs for baffle

Post by sluckey »

mhuss

Post by mhuss »

I've seen what I think you're describing in furniture; there's a coarse outer reverse thread that goes into the wood, and they have machine screw threads on the inside. It's cleaner-looking than a T-nut, and won't ever "pop loose" like T-nuts can.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

rutledj

Post by rutledj »

sluckey wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:52 pm Like this?

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/s ... ffle-mount
Thanks. That is exactly what I was looking for. Not sure why I've never seen them before on their site as many times as I've been there.
thetragichero

Post by thetragichero »

i have seen these as well. i'm not too fond of them as one can be a klutz and easily put it through the speaker cone when installing. t-nuts can be annoying (especially when they just spin and spin and spin) but i feel much safer with em
PRR wrote: Plotting loadlines is only for the truly desperate, or terminally bored.
jabguit

Post by jabguit »

rutledj wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:48 pm I'm assuming these are kinda like a threaded t-nut?
I never met a t-nut that wasn't threaded......
Jack Briggs
Briggs Guitars
R.G.

Post by R.G. »

"hanger bolts"
common hardware store item, and cheap
mhuss

Post by mhuss »

We're talking about two different things, threaded studs (OP) and threaded inserts (my mistaken contribution).

I agree with tragic, it's way too easy to slip up and puncture a speaker with the studs; I'm not a fan either.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

R.G. wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:35 pm "hanger bolts"
These?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-3- ... /204273746

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
R.G.

Post by R.G. »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:49 pm
R.G. wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:35 pm "hanger bolts"
These?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-3- ... /204273746
~Phil
That's the right kind of thing, just the wrong size. 3/8-16 by three inches long is going to be tough to bed into a 3/4"/18mm speaker baffle. Of course, Home Depoot has been getting worse and worse about stocking hardware. It seems to me that their MBA-Disease departments are having a bigger and bigger effect on what is really in the stores.
I'll go poke around on the fasteners sellers on the net and see if I can find the right size.
Something like #10 for the machine screw threaded end ought to be about right.
=====
Went and poked around. #10-24 x 1 1/2" is what I'd grab. They're available several places, but HD and Lowes stock is very spotty. The online bolt-specialty places want to sell boxes of 100 at a time, but one outfit has 10-24 1 1/2 (that is, 3/4" on each tread) for $8.80 per pack of 100 and a couple of other places came in under $10.00 for 100 pieces. I don't know what the tube amp specialty places sell them for, but if you get 100 and only use eight, that's 1.25 each, so that's the price to beat.
Collect them. Trade them with your friends...
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

This is the right size hanger bolts. I don't recommend them...

https://www.amazon.com/Hillman-Group-49 ... r=8-3&th=1
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Hangar bolts seem all wrong. I'll join the camp that says don't use them. They are good as a short cut [1] in furniture joinery. The best use I can think of would be to mount a knob or a handle.

[1] The really aren't that good and any furniture maker worth his salt will bother to make the mortise and tenon joint that will stand the test of time.