Ampeg Bass Amps?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

The Ballzz

Ampeg Bass Amps?

Post by The Ballzz »

Hey All,
We have both an SVT Classic and V-4B heads and love them both. They can both sound nearly identical, at low to medium volumes, when using the same mid center frequency settings. The down side here is that we prefer 450hz mid center of the #2 position of the SVT Classic, over either the 220hz or 800hz available on the V-4B. Also, we'd rather be using the V-4B for weight savings as well as being able to more safely use an older, lower wattage rated Alnico 810 cabinet. Could the cure be as simple as just swapping a cap and possibly resistor to convert either the 220hz or 800hz switch position to the desired 450hz option?

What would seem most helpful is finding the proper schematics for comparison, although suggestions/guidance is also appreciated. The SVT Classic is from 1997 and the V-4B is one of the more current 6L6 models in the last 3 or 4 years.

Thanks All,
Gene
dorrisant

Re: Ampeg Bass Amps?

Post by dorrisant »

I've noticed the sam and wondered the same...

Pulling up a chair.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
chaccmgr

Post by chaccmgr »

during Ampeg was owned by Loud Technologies their support site offered a whole lot of schematics. Registering was easy, I didn't have to provide any proof that I was a professional (which I am not). I found everything I was interested in at that time.

After Ampeg was sold to Yamaha I haven't checked, if everything is still online but give it a try: https://ampeg.com/support/files/Schematics/ S- Series and V-Series, maybe you find the schematics of your specific models. even if not your exact model, the midrange circuit hasn't change in topology over time. Compare with your actual amps to see, if they are fairly identical.

The midrange inductor is an Ampeg generic part. I think, it's the same for all models with inductor. It is hard to source though as a spare part. It's a large, bulky toroid, roughly 1,5 inches in diameter on a separate PCB. Assuming it's the same, a change in caps/resistors in the midrange circuit according to the preferred circuit circuit should bring the desired result (as far as the surrounding circuits are the same).
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Before going digging in to the V4 why don't you try out a graphic EQ stomp box in front of the and see if gets you there?

Those inductors are real hard to come by these days and both amps seem to use different ones.

Fliptops use to stock a bunch of them but now there out.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!