JCM800 build

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Smokebreak

JCM800 build

Post by Smokebreak »

Hey all, I haven't built anything from scratch(for anyone else) in a couple years. My world is repairs now, which is great, but every now and again I say OK and build someone something custom. I'm looking forward to it actually!
I'm doing a tweaked 800 , but it has to be nearly all from a kit, at least as far as the chassis, cab, etc. I just don't have time to punch chassis, design boards, etc.
Was planning on using weber chassis and cab, then sourcing xformers, a board, and I have everything else here. But I see classictone went out of business? What a bummer, i guess that's old news though. I'm curious what everyone's doing now for fresh builds, and kits for a baseline? I'm gonna need a relay board too, is Colossal still making those? Are we down to Hammond, Heyboer, MM, Weber for xformers?
hermannbjorgvin

Re: JCM800 build

Post by hermannbjorgvin »

Was looking at a similar project for a friend a while back. He found Marstran makes pretty accurate replicas of the original drake transformers, pretty pricy though but if you want a "boutique" brand they seem to be doing really accurate Marshall stuff

http://marstran.com/JTM45-100-JMP100%20 ... RMERS.html

Hammond also seems to make the right choke for the JCM800
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Monotone has some nice relay set up’s as does London power.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
xtian

Post by xtian »

I love the 2204 I built! Here is my build log: https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34076
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Smokebreak wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:27 pmI'm doing a tweaked 800 , but it has to be nearly all from a kit, at least as far as the chassis, cab, etc. I just don't have time to punch chassis, design boards, etc.
Was planning on using weber chassis and cab, then sourcing xformers, a board, and I have everything else here. But I see classictone went out of business? What a bummer, i guess that's old news though. I'm curious what everyone's doing now for fresh builds, and kits for a baseline? I'm gonna need a relay board too, is Colossal still making those? Are we down to Hammond, Heyboer, MM, Weber for xformers?
Valvestorm specializes in good quality Marshall stuff: http://valvestorm.com
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Smokebreak wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:27 pm Hey all, I haven't built anything from scratch(for anyone else) in a couple years. My world is repairs now, which is great, but every now and again I say OK and build someone something custom. I'm looking forward to it actually!
I'm doing a tweaked 800 , but it has to be nearly all from a kit, at least as far as the chassis, cab, etc. I just don't have time to punch chassis, design boards, etc.
Don't forget Edcor. May not be Marshall authentic as they use M6 lams, but they have a wide range of options. Built to order apparently as I have been waiting since April for a set to build a stereo Maggie.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
Dr Tony Balls

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

Related content, but here's one I just finished up. Built to 2204 specs using Hammond iron. This was from scratch, but if you wanted to go with a kit, as you suggested, i've always been a fan of Weber stuff. There are some parts that you'll want to replace or opt out of when ordering (tubes, for one) but the value for what you get is pretty nice and the iron is great.

Last edited by Dr Tony Balls on Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I build effects and amps and do custom builds to order. Boom.
Site: http://ballseffects.com/
Smokebreak

Post by Smokebreak »

Anyone used OPTOFET switching, instead of electromechanical relays? For this application I'm just switching 2 master volumes, in the normal spot before the PI in a JCM800.
I used to always use Colossal's relay boards, so I'm not familiar with these.

https://grangeramp.com/product/optofet- ... ch-jack-2/
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Smokebreak wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:33 pm Anyone used OPTOFET switching, instead of electromechanical relays? For this application I'm just switching 2 master volumes, in the normal spot before the PI in a JCM800.
I used to always use Colossal's relay boards, so I'm not familiar with these.

https://grangeramp.com/product/optofet- ... ch-jack-2/
Mark Huss, a long time member here, designed a mosfet type high speed switch many years ago and they work well. I am happy to offer relay and power supply boards again, if there is some interest (I may put out a feeler).
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

I'm interested. You made the best full featured relay boards.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

TUBEDUDE wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:37 am I'm interested. You made the best full featured relay boards.
Excellent, thanks!
oj

Post by oj »

What model are u taking about ???
Marshall made over 25 models under the SERIAL JCM 8oo !
I don't get why so many Americans just say JCM800 , and think that is specific model ?
Do u say: I have a Mustang when someone ask what car u have ? Mustang is a SERIAL of cars made and different years and with different spec.

I know many say JCM800 and are taking about 2204/2203, but that amp came under JMP, JCM and even today.

And am not try to bash U, more get every one to stop saying : JCM as a MODEL.
Dr Tony Balls

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

oj wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:26 pm I don't get why so many Americans just say JCM800 , and think that is specific model ?
It's infuriating.
I build effects and amps and do custom builds to order. Boom.
Site: http://ballseffects.com/
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

Dr Tony Balls wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:12 pm...here's one I just finished up...
Nice build, but is the chassis safety ground lug on the IEC inlet fastener?
My concern being that it's not usually feasible to put much torque on those fasteners, as the body of the inlet can split around the screw head.
Smokebreak

Post by Smokebreak »

Everybody knows that when you say JCM800 you really mean the best Marshall ever built, the split ch 2205. :lol:
Of course I mean 2203. In these circles, I tend to understand exactly what is meant by "JCM800 build"... a 2203 or 4 that's potentially modified for higher gain, which is exactly what i'm doing. More '80s than 70's.
Anyways , yea Colossal, it's good to hear from you! I always enjoyed working with your boards. I may go with the optofet this time, to try something new, but I'd be interested in the future.

I ended up getting a steel chassis and matching box from TubeDepot, of all places. I imagine Mojo build the cab.

I've gotta get some custom faceplates though, who's doing those these days?