Good list of components for modding amps?

General discussion area for tube amps.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ledvedder

Good list of components for modding amps?

Post by ledvedder »

Is there anywhere that I can find a good list of components to have on hand? I've begun modding my JCA22H, but it would be cool to have plenty of parts on hand. Since I can't just drive down to the local Radio Shack anymore, it's not very convenient to order parts online, as I need them. Especially when they want to charge $8 to ship 2 or 3 50 cent parts.

Or, could anyone provide a decent list of components that are always useful to have?
roberto

Re: Good list of components for modding amps?

Post by roberto »

Receiving a list would be useless for you.
Download some schematics and write down the components you can find on them, to understand what you need.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

You might spend hundreds for a stock of parts that you'll never use. I suggest the best cheap source is eBay sellers from Pacific rim countries. You will get very low prices, but will have to wait 2-6 weeks for your parts. We all moan when we need to buy something for less than $1 but shipping is $9. It happens and can be hard to avoid.
turbofeedus

Post by turbofeedus »

You could start with kits like this or this, but without fail the value you need will not be included, so you'll end up with the problem Phil mentioned anyway. :)
statorvane

Post by statorvane »

I find I am always in need of of 0.022 uF / 600V capacitors, 68k and 470k 1/2 watt metal film resistors. Picked up a handful of each at a local Hamfest a few years ago for a few bucks.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Hamfest people start at the crack of dawn and everyone is gone well before lunch. Don't ask me how I know this because it's embarrassing to admit. Let's just say I didn't find much the one time I tried and I never tried again.
romberg

Post by romberg »

Phil_S wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:01 pm I suggest the best cheap source is eBay sellers from Pacific rim countries. You will get very low prices, but will have to wait 2-6 weeks for your parts. We all moan when we need to buy something for less than $1 but shipping is $9. It happens and can be hard to avoid.
+1

In my case, I buy "kits" from Amazon. After you consider shipping charges, it really does not cost much more to buy an assortment of 1000 resistors tcompared to three or four from a more conventional source. And if you are like me, and are always needing to get one or two more components, then the kits are way way cheaper than repeated orders of a few components.

If I was starting off again, I'd get:
  • a kit of 1/2 watt carbon film resistors.
  • a kit of 400-600V polypropylene capacitors.
  • an assortment of 22 gauge ptfe hookup wire (I never seem to have enough of this).
  • an assortment of lead wires with alligator clips at each end. These are very useful for tinkering around with circuits to sub in parts to find values you like.
This list if far from complete. But having a varied set of resistors and signal caps would be a great way to start.

Mike
statorvane

Post by statorvane »

Let's just say I didn't find much the one time I tried and I never tried again.
I know what you mean. One of my friends at work suggested I try a local Hamfest to find audio tubes. I have never bought a tube at a Hamfest worth a damn.

There are usually several electronic vendors from down state NY and NJ/PA selling among other things components I have found useful to have (resistors, caps, solder/flux, terminal strips, standoffs etc.), but the typical participant's offerings are an assortment of old radio or computer junk that was probably acquired ... at a previous Hamfest. My friend later joked that a lot of equipment at Hamfests is junk that moves around from one Hamfest to the next.
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

I think building a stock of components is a similar learning curve to figuring out how, and why, to mod your amp. You will waste time and money and you will learn something from it.

Way too many parts to give a comprehensive list, but if you just want to experiment, maybe start with a decade box or two of resistors and capacitors. Or a few multi turn pots, and a capacitor decade box. find the values you want through experimentation, then order exactly what you need. Aside from that; like others have mentioned, parts kits are your friend. Tayda has fairly inexpensive metal and carbon film resistors, and some high voltage caps. Grab some schematics, order 1w resistors and 630v caps a few sizes up and down from what is in amps you already like.

1,2,4.7,10,22k 3+w dropping resistors can be very useful if messing with power supplies
150-1k 5w resistors are useful if working on cathode biased stuff
I am always running out of 22uf 450-500v caps

I have been building and repairing amps and pedals and things for a long time, and have a large stock of parts. I still need to order an odd value every month or so. Always prepared for the last battle.